• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7v333 and 166 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moz_21

I have a custom built computer I just recently upgraded (I made the jump to DDR mem :D ) anyhow, I have an Asus A7V333 mobo with an AMD Athlon 1333, 512mb Corsair XMS 3000 DDR. My initial idea was to bump the multiplier down to 8x and up the FSB to 166/33. however, it will crash within 5 minutes. I have set my Vcore to 1.8v, and it reports approx. 1.85v in the bios hardware monitor. So, any ideas??? :(

OK, I will try that. Does anyone know what the default VCore is for an Athlon 1333??? I am unsure and it would help...

I tried all the way to 1.85. It didn't help. I am fine just browsing the 'net, but when I try to play games, it will freeze after about 10 minutes. Could it be the power supply? Its a 350w Enermax.

First of all welcome to the forums :)
Try enableing the "overvolt" jumper. It located above the CPU, and even has a little text that says overvolt :D then try adjusting the vcore to 1.8 fx. and see what happens.

Could be some other hardware in your rig that says stop when the FSB reaches that speed... (ceep in mind that A7V333 doesent mean that the mobo is made to run 333 MHz on the FSB. It means the mobo supports memory set to run that speed...)

ok, before I try overvolting it, i gotta say this: the KT333 chipset has a /5 pci divider. So when running the FSB at 166, the pci bus is running @ spec (33mhz) so there shouldn't be problems with periphels, right?? or am I wrong?? BTW, thanks for the welcoming!!!:p

moz_21 said:
ok, before I try overvolting it, i gotta say this: the KT333 chipset has a /5 pci divider. So when running the FSB at 166, the pci bus is running @ spec (33mhz) so there shouldn't be problems with periphels, right?? or am I wrong?? BTW, thanks for the welcoming!!!:p
'

Nope no problem there....

moz_21 said:

You're right. the /5 divisor kicks in @ 166, so everything runs in spec.

Oh, and the Overvolt jumpers are only available on Revision 2.00 boards and higher I think. My r1.07 doesn't have them, but my r2.00 did.

I have r1.02. Its got the overvolt jumper right at the top of the board, above the cpu socket. I didn't try it, though.

Does anyone know what the VID jumper does?? Does it just open up more voltage options in the bios, allowing Vcore over 1.85? Asus doesn't explain a lot of things very well....

Oni said:

You're right. the /5 divisor kicks in @ 166, so everything runs in spec.

Oh, and the Overvolt jumpers are only available on Revision 2.00 boards and higher I think. My r1.07 doesn't have them, but my r2.00 did.

Are u talking about A7V333 or A7V266-E ?

moz_21 said:

I have r1.02. Its got the overvolt jumper right at the top of the board, above the cpu socket. I didn't try it, though.

Does anyone know what the VID jumper does?? Does it just open up more voltage options in the bios, allowing Vcore over 1.85? Asus doesn't explain a lot of things very well....

VID = CPU voltage, the jumper on the picture is kinda like an lock/unlock jumper allowing overvolt or disabling it...

Think the overvolt jumper allows u to get higher volt opertunitys in the BIOS, if not it sets the standard voltage up 0.100 volt, like if u set the voltage to 1.75 in the BIOS youll get 1.85... Im NOT sure about this though... Ill look in to it at work tomorrow.

ASUS doesent explain that cuzz they dont want inexperienced ppl to play around with the jumpers and damage their mobo... Dont think ASUS likes getting RMA requests from customers who have destroyed their mobo by oc....

Lord_of_Decay said:
I use jumper-free and set everything through BIOS, without any problems. Revision is 1.02 and I do have the overvolt jumpers.

So, you are running 166/33 STABILY ?? And overclocking the cpu or did you drop the multiplier down? Also, did you change JP1 or JP2 (the undocumented voltage jumpers)??

I would REALLY like to run my 1333mhz cpu @ 8 multiplier x 166fsb. I have even seen reviews of the MoBO where they reviewer can run at 180+ on the FSB.... AND overclock it!!1 :mad:

Check my sig for O/C and it is rock solid stable. I run Prime95 for 12+ hours when testing stability of an O/C, if I get an error I know its not stable. I did drop my multiplier down and increase FSB. As for the jumpers I dont use them, I perfer to set everything through the BIOS.

I am still doing burn-in's and would like to increase my FSB to 200+ with the multiplier at 9.5. My processor can do 192 FSB with a 9 multiplier stable.

so, it is possible that a cpu cannot take more than a certain amount of FSB, EVEN if you drop the multiplier to bring the actual MHZ rating to stock???

moz_21 said:
so, it is possible that a cpu cannot take more than a certain amount of FSB, EVEN if you drop the multiplier to bring the actual MHZ rating to stock???

Yes depends on what stepping your CPU has...

Cown said:

Yes depends on what stepping your CPU has...

It is an AXIA...

Ok, I was playing around with it today, and it will run stable at 1.2 odd GHZ (7x166, 1.85 vcore) Mem@ cas2,3,3,5, 1T

it will not run staple at 8x166 with the most relaxed memory settings...changing JP1 & 2 from 1-2,1-2 (2.5v mem) to 1-2, 2-3 (asus default, 2.7?) helped, but it locked after 10 min

could this possibly indicate a weak 5v line on the P/S ??? Before my upgrade, I blew up a cheap P/S twice:rolleyes: , and then i got the enermax 350.

In MBM5, my 5v is the weakest, running at 4.9-5.0v My 12v runs @ 12.4-12.5, and 3.3@ 3.4-3.9...

soooo, could a "better" P/S help??

Back