• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Cryo - Expanded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
I found this somewhere, probably on a forum, but I'm not sure.

http://www.metku.net/cryo/

Anyways, since it doesn't look like the UV CC idea is going to work well due to Acrylic's tendency to absorb UV light, I'm looking for another theme for the plexi cube I was considering. One idea that comes to mind is to take this cryo idea and extend it to the whole case.

The cube will be 15"x15"x15". The reason for the large size is that I've got a motherboard try I'll be using in the base of it. That will allow for easier mounting of the motherboard and will also save me the hassle of trying to cut holes for all the ports and card slots. It also makes it easier if I want to upgrade my MB. The tray is one from one of the FrozenCPU Blizzard cases. I'll also need room for my eventual water cooling setup in it. To be honest, I am open to ideas and suggestions on it since I am (yet again) having to redesign it.

My current idea is to have the cube split into two levels with the Rad, drives, reservoir, PSU and pump on the top level and the rest of the PC on the bottom level. Actually, I very possibly may put the rad on the bottom so that the air flowing through there will help to vent the rest of the system. The pump will probably be an Eheim 1048 running submerged in the Res. The access door will be on the side and hinged on the bottom with some sort of latch at the top. I'm most likely looking at glue to hold the whole thing together.

My idea with the cryo would be to use sandpaper to "frost" up the inside of the plexiglass except for a few viewholes towards the center of the sides. I would use blue CC lights for the lighting inside. I would continue the theme with a mouse mod like on the above referenced site and may try something similar with my keyboard.

Any thoughts/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm overlooking something here but, man, I can't figure out what. Maybe I'm just paranoid of screwing up my first real mod. :)

Cryo

So you're going to make a Cryo-like case window?? I'd use a barbie doll or something as the cryogenically frozen person on the inside. That'd be pretty cool with a blue CC.

I don't know for sure if I'm going to have a person on the inside of it or not as the frozen person, though, now that you mention it, that would be kinda cool. I was just thinking the whole Cryo theme would be cool in general.

EDIT: BTW, I highly recommend the metku.net site if you want ideas on some way cool mods. The guy's good.

Last edited:
Sand the inside of the case, then put a ice blue cold cathode shining from both the top and bottom, that'd be so freakin awesome!!!!

Well i think that'll look pretty sweet. The frost look would be cool to have :) i allready have 2 blue cathodes :)
Well good luck with the idea

Any idea how I could go about adding fake frost to the drives? I'm thinking something like that spray on stuff you get for decoration during the winter possibly. Or something similar.

Yeah, it is. I emailed the guy who did the mouse at Metku. He thought it was a great idea and had a couple of other suggestions on how to do it.

Now, Do you think it would be too hokey having a figure of some sort "frozen" in the case? I kinda like the idea, but I'm not sure it won't look cheezy.

What would be even better would be having old action figure heads sitting on red painted tooth picks.........................

I don't think I've seen that. Sorry. I suspect that humor would be lost on everyone (myself included).

Hey, maybe I could get a model of a white dragon to stick in there since I'm big on D&D.

go with some alien models!!! :D like Mr. B's alien :p

then you can etch in the window, look what seti has done for me :p

Back