• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well does this turbunator design work? AKA H2O n00b needs advice on 1st system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WakeboardrB

Registered
How well does this turbunator design work? AKA H2O n00b needs advice on 1st system!

Welp, have to repost this due to a "embarrasing mistake" :D . (You know who you are).

Ok, so I think we have already established that I am a n00b on a mission. I would love to be able to pull of a decent watercooling system for around $80 or less. That would require me to make my own waterblock (who needs store bought stuff. If I could make the pump, I'd do that too)

I was pondering a cross-drilled block because I dont have access to a milling machine but instead I found this lil beauty. I'm sure most of you H2O gurus are familiar with "The Turbunator" and I would like your advice about it.

http://3rotor.dns2go.com/index.html

It looks dead simple to make and put together but how does it cool? I noticed that the guy who created it has made almost all of his blocks the same way.

Is there any way to improve upon the design any? Also, is anyone familiar with the size specifications of the block itself? I wanna make sure I get it done right.

Thanks you all, I'll probably be up all night (so keep the posts flooding in, I need something to do :D ). And as one of my special demands, Hoot, you have to write me an in depth post on everything I need to know :cool: . You know why!

It looks like it would cool well with all the surface area and the turbulent water flow. But there are two things I suspect are problematic with the block design. It looks like a flowrate killer, but that isn't really a problem if it keeps the temps low. Second is that you would have to line the holes up right in making it, or else you could end up with a no-flow block.

Lining up the holes is no problem. I'll just make the same template as the guy did and drill away.

I was thinking of getting a rio 1700 642gph pump for around $30. Do you think that would be a good choice or should I just get the rio 1300?

Bump bump. I found another design on these forums similar to the turbunator but it looks a tad bit better. The pins near the inlet and outlet are cut like at a 45degree angle so there wont be any deadspots.. Lemmie try an ASCII..

ahh, **** it.. The sun just came up and I havent slept a wink tonight. Im too tired to mess with making a pic.

I'll just find the link to the other block to see which one you guys perfer.

Back