• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with vid driver??????????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takiwa

well, I don't know what got up my a$$, but I decided to install a dual boot with XP and Mandrake 8.1, just to try out Linux and see what all the talk was about. It is an alright system so far, I'm impressed. But I have a question.

MospeadasDark installed it on my PII350 with an ATI 128 Rage Ultra vid card while he was here, and all the games (TuxRacer in particular) played very well. Now, with my GF3Ti200, I can barely move the mouse when starting up Tux, much less play. The graphics are horrible!

What do I have to do to get my video working right? It seems ok on everything else, like the desktop, and it defaulted to 1024x768x16 at start-up after install. Please remember, I know nothing about Linux, so walk me through this step by step...I need help!

TIA, takiwa

Its running slow because its doing all the OpenGL in software. You need to go to www.nvidia.com, download the Linux drivers, and install them by the instructions in the readme.

I downloaded the files, and I couldn't figure out all those directions (where are you supposed to type all those commands at???) so I clicked on the .rpm's, and it said it installed them. But now it won't boot. It gets to the boot screen and the screen just starts blinking on and off. Guess I'll have to re-install.

Also, as a total thread hack of my own thread....

I have XP on the first HDD, Linux on the second...why can't I see the Linux HDD from XP and the XP HDD from Linux? they don't show up...

takiwa said:
I downloaded the files, and I couldn't figure out all those directions (where are you supposed to type all those commands at???) so I clicked on the .rpm's, and it said it installed them. But now it won't boot. It gets to the boot screen and the screen just starts blinking on and off. Guess I'll have to re-install.

Also, as a total thread hack of my own thread....

I have XP on the first HDD, Linux on the second...why can't I see the Linux HDD from XP and the XP HDD from Linux? they don't show up...

you enter commands by way of the terminal...should be a quicklaunch icon on your panel/taskbar for future reference.

chances are you will have to reconfigure your xconfig file, i've never done it, but i know a lot of people here have, so don't give up and reinstall just yet.

as far as the hdd's go, there is a way to set it up so linux can read from the windows drive, but forget about writing to it. xp can't see linux because it is a totally different file system. the best thing about reading from fat/ntfs is you can have files like mp3's on your windows drive and not have to have them in linux too, just one place on the hdd. but i don't know how to set up linux to see windows drives either :D i know other people do though...

hope that helps.

jeff

i need this info too.

im getting decent with it, i can do the every day stuff, install and uninstall proggies, but cant do drivers yet.

me wana know this stuff.

Back