• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new comp, any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggin

After weeks of research (thanks frugal flier thread =) ) I think I finally have all my components picked out for my first machine. Nothing is concrete yet though, so i'm more then open to any suggestions that you think might give me more bang for the buck, or help the computer run better. Here's the list i've came up with so far:

-P4 1.8a
-Abit BD7II mobo
-Samsung 512mb PC2700 DDR
-GeForce4 TI4400 128mb (Either gainsward or Leadtek)
-Lite-On 12x CDRW
-Lite-On 12x Dvd player
-Seagate 40gb hd
-Chieftec case w/ 420watt ps
-Encore network card
-Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
-Logitech z-560 speakers
-19in Samsung SyncMaster 955df
-Artic Silver 3

I'm aiming for a high oc beneath 1.7v. since I want this pc to last me for a while =). Depending on what oc is possible beneath 1.7v, I wouldn't mind getting a quiet heatsink/fan combination. Otherwise i'll use the stock fan and heatsink with the Artic Silver 3 if that works well (looking for advice).

I hear some people saying Asus p4S533 is better/faster then the abit board, but I also hear it messes with the bus speed of some components (soundcard, lan card, etc). Thanks in advance for advice given =).

Looks good. I do, however, have a few suggestions.

1) get a GF4 Ti4200 64MB
2) used that money saved to get a P4 2.26Ghz
3) the PC2700 DDR support of the Abit BG7 would add performance

Mark099 said:
3) the PC2700 DDR support of the Abit BG7 would add performance
intel does not officially support ddr333 on the i845g chipset... but who cares what they think! :D it'll work on just about every recent chipset for intel boards... so i'm not worried about which one supports it or not.

Maxvla said:

intel does not officially support ddr333 on the i845g chipset... but who cares what they think! :D it'll work on just about every recent chipset for intel boards... so i'm not worried about which one supports it or not.

Very few, if any, 845E boards can run DDR above 266Mhz. I know the IT7 (and BG7) can, but not sure about the BD7II.

Samsung pc2700 came in two flavors. One overclocked well, the other did average. You won't know which until you get it.

I would reccommend corsair XMS pc3000 cas2. 512mb should be about $175 on newegg. (it was the last time I checked.)
Thats 185FSB at cas 2! (Or darn close to RDRAM performance!)

Wow, thank you everyone for the tips. I heard the corsair was very good for ocing also, so I'll look into that this weekend. The mobo I listed can support 185fsb with the corsair ram?

Wiggin said:
Wow, thank you everyone for the tips. I heard the corsair was very good for ocing also, so I'll look into that this weekend. The mobo I listed can support 185fsb with the corsair ram?

in one word " YES" .

mica

I would still get a good HSF for your cpu.

a great one that I am useing is ax-478.

easy on, easy off installation...and very good results with a panaflow fan (or ys tech).(also cheaper then swifty)

the new 4000 from swiftech looks nice too but harder to install and remove.

mica

ditch the 1.8a and pick a different cpu, they dont overclock all that great, you would have to get a really good one, like go and hand pick one with a really recent pack date, for the best results. everything else looks great, but i might think about the asus p4b533 mobo instead of the bd7II, because the bd7II is KNOWN for its low voltage.:(

micamica1217 said:
I would still get a good HSF for your cpu.

a great one that I am useing is ax-478.

easy on, easy off installation...and very good results with a panaflow fan (or ys tech).(also cheaper then swifty)

the new 4000 from swiftech looks nice too but harder to install and remove.

mica

Is that hs/fan combo quiet? I don't want one of the loud swifties. I was really looking into the p4b544 mobo, but then I hear because it doesn't lock down the voltage of the periphreals, that it can be unstable. I don't wanna push the voltage of my 1.8a chip beyond 1.7v anyways, so wouldn't the Bd7II be fine for that?

Everywhere I've read has picked the 1.6a or 1.8a as the best chip for ocing. I heard the 1.8a has a super high chance to reach 2.4 just through the bios, so i'm not sure what you mean about it not ocing well.

Wiggin said:
After weeks of research (thanks frugal flier thread =) ) I think I finally have all my components picked out for my first machine.

i'm glad that thread was useful to you. my frugal flyer (flier?) is coming together well!:D

Excellent choices so far. i did go with the 1.8a just because the 1.6a's look picked over. I saw this happen with vintage celerons a couple of years ago when they were discontinued (the 366 especially). within weeks only very old chips were available for purchase because the later chips were all picked over in the stores and warehouses. that's happening with the 1.6a.

:mad:

my quest for 3ghz continues tomrrow as i stop by the show to pick up yeat another 2.26, as well the 2.4b is for sale for 285 with shipping now.

would a vantec stealth be good on a hs/f setup?

(clueless about cooling)

Maxvla said:
would a vantec stealth be good on a hs/f setup?

(clueless about cooling)

I think the CFM on the vantec stealth (80mm) is just a little too low...yet price is high.

mica

Back