• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator and heatercore in series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

I just got my heatercore and shoud finished and I'm ready to put it in, but I don't want to waste my so so readiator. So im planning on using this setup as follows: WB#1--->WB#2---->RAD--->heatercore.

I'm thinking of after the second WB making it parallel, so splits the flow between the RAD and Hcore, but I've havn't been able to find any Y shaped adapters.

The rad is 3/8 and the heater core is 5/8. Do you guys think this is going to effect my flowrate at all. I'm almost sure I don't even need the rad since it cooled like crap, and I've heard heater cores do a great job. Just want to know what you guys think.

Thanks
cack01

humm, tough to say. first off, I would run both of my waterblocks in parallel. and because you have different capacity radiators, run them in series. if your waterblocks are 3/8" fittings, then i'd throw down the old radiator first, and then the new heatercore. the larger tube diameter should not hurt your flowrate. in fact, large tube diameter heatercores are usually the way to go...

Your flow rate is limited by the smallest component and ideally you should have the radiators in parallel. High flow rate through WB slow through radiators, but it will also depend on your pump and if it can maintain the flow rate.

I assume you have a CPU WB and a GPU WB, how about CPU WB to Radiator to GPU WB to Heatercore ? That way you pre-cool the water from the CPU before it is used to cool the GPU. The water should flow slowly enough through the heatercore to bring it back to near ambient for the CPU. Put the pump between GPU-WB and heatercore, that way you'll also be removing any heat from the pump to water before it gets to the CPU.

gotta disagree with a few things you said limey. first off, check his siggy, he's got a dual pee3 setup, hence the dual blocks. in that case, he should definitely go parallel through the blocks. also, he claims that his old radiator sux arse. in that case, it would make sense to put it in parallel. a large diameter heatercore (like the 5/8") he mentioned will allow larger mass flows at lower volume rates through it as you mentioned. if one radiator doesnt perform the same as the other, putting them in parallel could diminish his cooling capacity....

A poor smal diameter radiator will be best in parrellel with a heater core.
That way you are basicly making a larger tube size. It won't harm or dimminish the power of either, as it wil spread the water out over a larger area, slowing it down. Slowing down does not mean less flow though. It will stop any restrictions in flow.
Being in parrellel also decreases tube length (in parrellel tubes count as one, larger tube). That will up the flow rate even more.

Yep most people think that when people say to have the water to spend more time in the radiator they first think....slow down the water. But its more....get a huge radator or mutiple ones so water spends alot of time it them even when the water flow is decent but not super fast.

Back