• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red Hat 7.3 automount question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takiwa

When my computer boots, one of the messages that flash across the screen during loading says that my automount didn't mount anything, because no mount points were set. I can't get into my CD, CD-RW, Floppy or ZIP. How do I set the mount points? Is there a file I need to edit? If so, please explain in English, not computerese. I am a n00b to Linux, and most of the things I read in here might as well be in Chinese...

*EDIT*

I'm asking this questions because RedHat is setup a little differently from the Mandrahe 8.2 I was running yesterday, and I can't find any of the control panels or applets to set anything up. I am lost...I thought these two systems were supposed to be similar? Maybe that's the difference between KDE 2.0 and 3.0...

TIA, takiwa

Last edited:
Here's my fstab, if it helps:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb4 /mnt/zip100.0 auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

So mount /mnt/cdrom does nothing? You see, that's why I like debian. If you know how to config debian, you can configure any distro.

So mount /mnt/cdrom does nothing?
Nothing at all, even as su, it just goes back to prompt. It doesn't give an error, but it doesn't display the contents of the CD, either...
You see, that's why I like debian. If you know how to config debian, you can configure any distro.
and that's why I like Windows...

I'm giving Linux a fair chance here, so someone help me figure this out before I get the reformat itch...

Hmm... so you must not know how to configure Windows then, since you can't configure Linux :p

Just kidding.

Your fstab looks fine, although I don't recognize those LABEL= lines. Do /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom1/ and /mnt/zip100.0 exist?

Your fstab looks fine, although I don't recognize those LABEL= lines. Do /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom1/ and /mnt/zip100.0 exist?
yes, that is my CD-rom, my CD-RW, and my ZIP...but my floppy isn't mounting, neither is my FAT32 partitions on the HDD. I have a book a friend gave me a while back (thought I had thrown it away, but I'm glad now I didn't) called Linux Complete (sec. ed.). I was able to mount cdrom and cdrom1 from command line, but not the floppy, zip or other partitions. And mounting/unmounting from command everytime I put a CD in is NOT what I want to do. I need to find out why the automount in RedHat isn't working??? I think I will go back to Mandrake one more time...

EDIT: no, I am not reading correctly. Never mind.

Can you tell me exactly what "automount" in rh/your desktop manager refers to? I don't use a destop manager so I am really not sure. And what do you mean "isn't mounting"? Unlike windows, there is usually a reason things don't work in Linux, and the OS doesn't hide that ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what automount refers to...I don't have the slightest idea when it comes to Linux. Apparently, RedHat is supposed to autodetect and mount your drives at boot, but mine doesn't. It says something along the lines of "Automount Failed : Mount Points Not Set". So, I will assume there is some place for me to set the mount points...I just don't know where???

takiwa said:
yes, that is my CD-rom, my CD-RW, and my ZIP...but my floppy isn't mounting, neither is my FAT32 partitions on the HDD. I have a book a friend gave me a while back (thought I had thrown it away, but I'm glad now I didn't) called Linux Complete (sec. ed.). I was able to mount cdrom and cdrom1 from command line, but not the floppy, zip or other partitions. And mounting/unmounting from command everytime I put a CD in is NOT what I want to do. I need to find out why the automount in RedHat isn't working??? I think I will go back to Mandrake one more time...

No, no, I mean, do those directories exist?

oh...sorry, didn't understand. Yes, they exist in /mnt, but when you click on one, it just opens up a blank Konqueror page w/ no contents...it's pretty weird. I may have screwed up on the install. I'll either re-install it tommorrow, or go back with Mandrake. I've had too much down time as it is. But thank you and parkan very much for your help.

Back