• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMI raid on RH7.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firebird79

recently i just got my new hard disk, and setup the raid 0 configuration. i install the new redhat 7.3 and when i reach the partition section, they didn't recognize the raid array that i had create. i try using the old hyperistallrh.tgz driver and they didn't work due to wrong version of redhat linux cd. what could i do now?

Get the latest driver. I don't know about RH but most decent distros have an option for loading drivers off a floppy during installation.

What controller chip is that board using?

If Linux doesn't see your raid array, my guess is its one of those pseudo-software winmodem style raid controllers like the Promise and Highpoint ones.

XWRed1 said:
What controller chip is that board using?

If Linux doesn't see your raid array, my guess is its one of those pseudo-software winmodem style raid controllers like the Promise and Highpoint ones.

I believe he explicitly stated that the drivers are on the CD but they do not work properly due to a version mismatch.

well....the situation is like this:
-> i had the motherboard DVD-266-R and it had build in AMI MegaRAID ATA-100. i create 1 raid 0 array and install win2k(5gig). then the rest i want to install RH7.3. the win2k are successfuly installed. then i try RH7.3. when i start boot the cd, it come to the disk partition section and i use diskruid to partition it. but strange thing happen is, i saw 2 different drive rather than just one big drive array. i know something wrong here. the installation guide said i suppose has one device call ar0 in /dev(do this while pressing clt+alt+f2. so i go and read the instruction book and they provide one boot image for loading the driver. but it was for RH6.1 & 6.2. i using that boot disk and boot in.....now i can see the ar0 in /dev. but it stop and asking for right RH cd. all i had is only RH7.3. i don't want to download the old version RH....is there anyway to help?

note: i did seach for lsi logic site and download the latest driver, but it still won't help. the megaraid won't load up. i think probably this is build in card and the driver that i download is for normal add in card.

Hmmm... seeing 2 drives, my guess is that its using the Linux drivers for the controller which probably don't support raid. So it just sees two drives as it would on any other controller.

I guess you can't feed those drivers to RH7.3? Do they have RH7.3 drivers on the Ami website?

If you have a spare/small hd, you might be able to put it in and install on that. Then, get the driver situation sorted out so Linux can see and work with the raid arrays provided by the hardware, then move the whole Linux install to the raid array and keep the small spare drive around for the bootloader.

thanks....i will try. AMI sold the megaraid IDE controller to LSI logic. so in AMI website no more hving any IDE controller driver or information.

well, it was MG80649 chip, and it was manufacture by AMI. now i got one driver work for RH7.0. this driver will make the raid array as scsi drive. so now i can install in /dev/sda. the driver only support till RH7.2. i try to use it on RH7.3. at first, it does load the megaide driver, but it doesn't mount the raid array in /dev/sda like RH7.0 does. i was thought about installing RH7.0 and then upgrade to RH7.3. is this a good idea??

When the device in the /dev tree is created it is not mounted. A node for it to attach is made. That aside, all I can say is WHY would rh lose compatilility between the versions? I really have no idea. Just another reason to use a better distor *hint hint* ;)

the driver package that i download from LSI logic site contain even more distro version driver. from 7.0 to 7.2. every distro version driver has different installation procedure.....so strange....well.....i guess......if this driver won't work or work bad....i might just change to software raid. any ideas how well the software raid come with RH7.3? or any other recommendation?

Software raid works the same in every Linux distro, but I don't know that Redhat will let you set it up from the installer.

Probably a time to hit their website.

i think they could! coz i use it once......nothing happen. i didn't test the speed coz i don't know what software to test with! they let me setup the raid in installation time. that time i'm using single drive and partition into 2. then make them as software raid. don't know anyone had this kind of experiance??

I run software raid on my computer, its pretty simple. What's stumping you about it?

For benchmarking, you should take a look at Bonnie++

i just worry about the reliability of software raid compare to hardware raid. but anyway...thanks for helping!

Its going to be about the same reliability. If the controller needs to have drivers for the OS to be able to see the array at all, then its a pseudo-software controller anyways.

help......i couldn't get Bonnie++ run the test...how's the command should look like to make it run the test? i refer to man but still couldn't understand it.....

If I recall correctly, you can just cd into a dir on the partition you want to test and run Bonnie with no parameters.

Back