• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LEDs for HDD windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aidtwo

Hello. I have just begun to create a window in an older WD hard drive. Having looked around on-line for a bit, I have seen several guides and postings with pictures that show LEDs inside the hard drive case (or optical drive). Unfortunately the whole part of providing power to the LEDs does not seem to get much explanation (based on what I've come across so far).

So I am trying to figure out how I can power a couple red LEDs my hard drive. These LEDs are come from eled.com (part # E2523SURC-E). If I understand correctly the LED's forward voltage is 1.9V (with a max of 2.5V) and their rated current is 20 mA (with a max of 40 mA).

Now, the question: Is it possible to reliably power these LEDs from the 5v line or 12v line going into the hard drive without doing any harm to the hard drive, PSU or anything else in the computer??

If no harm will be done, which is the preferred power source? 5v or 12v?

Thanks in advance,
-Adrian

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure, but if they have a max of 2.5v, then you could hook them in parallel on the 5 volt line. 5volt to led 1 to led 2 to ground. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Back