• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking w/ Defogger Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidey2099

Hi,

I've been thinking of unlocking my XP and purchased some of this rear window defogger repair kit from my local Auto Barn. However, compared to the website guides that I have read, I am stumped. On the website guides, the kit is in one vail. The kit I purchased (only one Auto Barn had) was made by a company called Permatex and has not only a vail but a plastic package. The problem is, I don't know which one to use. The one in the small vail is a blue liquid and the plastic package is the brownish liquid. The vail of blue stuff is not labeled and the package of brown stuff is the tab adhesive. The package of tab adhesive says electrically conductive on it which makes me think it's the one. Anyone know?

Thanks In Advance. I would have picked up some silver laquer but I couldn't find any place by my house that sells it.

The defogger repair kit I use to unlock XP's has a little bottle with brown conductive paint in it. I'd say go back to autozone and find the right kit if they sell it.

Good luck

It would be the conductive brown one. They're usually brown/orange-ish.

Did you ever read the Spiderman 2099 comic series? Is that where you got your nick?

Anyone know If I can use the one I purchased? Also, can I use this on my T-Bird instead of the pencil trick? Pencil lead on my CPU doesn't sound too good.

jbslow - Where exactly did you buy it and how much was it? What was the consistency of the liquid?

Thanks.

EDIT : Yeah, that's where I got my nick. I'm a kid at heart reading all sorts of Spiderman comics.

Spidey2099 said:
Anyone know If I can use the one I purchased? Also, can I use this on my T-Bird instead of the pencil trick? Pencil lead on my CPU doesn't sound too good.

Yep, you can use the one you bought. That should work just fine :)

You can use it on your T-Bird as well, but pencil will work good too, and be easier to clean up. I used a mechanical pencil w/ a 0.6mm lead, and it worked great (it's still working, I imagine. I sold that processor a while ago, and I've had no complaints).

I only bought the first issue of that series, unfortunately. It sounded pretty good, too.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The series is good but the original Spideys are better.

I'll get straight to it. If you guys don't see me on the board later on with an update, I probably fried it. :D </humor>

Ok, here's the update.

My CPU :

Athlon XP 2000+

AX2000DMT3C
AGOIA0205XPAW

My Mobo :

Abit K67A

I think I sucessfully unlocked it (maybe ) because I get to change the multipliers and voltage settings in the BIOS. I don't think I was able to when the L1 bridges were still locked. Problem is, if I change the setting to anything other than BIOS controlled (stock settings), it won't POST. I tried changing the multiplier to 10 and when I reboot, nothing happens :( , my monitor is recieving No Input Detected signals and I end up removing the CMOS battery to reboot it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Maybe I didn't unlock it. Should I clean it off and try again or am I doomed to be stuck at stock speeds? :eh?:

i would say just clean it off and try again, i dont think that you blew the cpu, unless you possibly connected a couple of the wrong bridges together and turned it on with them connected, but other than that, i doubt that you fried it. Just try a few more times.

No, I didn't fry it cause I'm using it right now at stock speed. It just won't POST at any other setting. I'm gonna go shut down the computer tomorrow and try again. If it still doesn't work, I'll send it to a professional to get it done or I'll just leave it at 2000+. :(

I give up on defogger liquid, it's too runny and doesn't seem to work. Maybe I did buy the wrong kit.

Can someone recommend something that is not so runny? Something with a consistency of toothpaste? Would AS3 work?

Sorry man i tryed as3 and it does not work Have you down loaded the unlocking xp's video toms hardware if you need it, it is here and you will need the new divx player to play back the mpeg 4 video. And yes defrogger paint workes took me two hours to unlock yesterday :D but it did happen.

BTW: sliver laquer is the same as defrogger paint

Spidey2099 said:

jbslow - Where exactly did you buy it and how much was it? What was the consistency of the liquid?

I bought some at AutoZone.

The liquid was thin but if you mixed it up well with a toothpic its not to bad. You need to work with it for a while and get your technique down. I found a toothpix and a sewing pin worked well. I could get a tiny drop of paint on the pin small enough I didnt even have to tape the bridges or anything I could just free hand the lines. Dont give up defogger its the best material I've used.

Back