• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good nic Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I personally think all the NIC cards are the same but be sure to get a 10/100Mb card....that will give you the fastest speeds...

But if you want a recommendation I would say go with the Linksys 10/100Mb card...that is what linksys specialies in...network things ;)

Mine is nice and fast and I love it:D

Spec

spec ops is right, linksys all the way for a good 10/100 nic...i had two of em both worked at 43mhz! (172 fsb with 1/4 divider).

I have been using NetGear FA311 10/100 cards. They work great and you can get them for about 5-8 bucks (shipped) off ebay.

For most uses all nics are pretty much the same, but there are a few differences- biggest that I know of is that the cheap ones generally use the cpu to do the network calculations (encoding and so forth) while the more expensive ones have a processor onboard that does the work.

I like 3Com best for a top-line nic, and Intel second: both are fast, reliable and fairly expensive.

Mostly I use Realtek chipped nics- CompUSA specials in fact!
They cost a LOT less and work just fine for most things.

All of the above take overclocking pretty well: I have had all of them running in rigs at 175 mhz fsb at one time or another.

As an example of a situation where a nic with onboard processing does make a difference:
I am going to try setting up a Diskless Cluster here (just 1 terminal for now) and the Cluster Server needs to have a nic that encodes for itself to send data to clients or the performance will go downhill fast. The client will be using an inexpensive nic though.

Price vs. Quality...I would go with a Linksys NIC. You can pick them up for less than $20 at best buy. I have used Linksys NICs in my PC's for the past year or so and never had a single problem(even the laptop has a linksys nic :)).

Stay away from the cheap 3coms(the higher end ones seem to be reliable). The 3com in my parents computer died out last week. My mother yanked the 3com out and threw a linksys in and was surfing fine again.

3 com are the best but cost more. I would stay away from netgear FA 311s by all means i have 3 of them here and they lock up every single one of my machines there trouble. I did give one to a friend and he put it in his machine and he has no problems but i say your taking your chances with those NICs. I use Lynksys and they work good.

Last edited:
You guys all have thoughts but your all forgetting sometin..

CPU Utilization!

A No-name Ethernet Card can consume up to 100% CPU Utilization depending on the size of your processor.

D-Link and Linksys generally score around 50% Utilization while 3com's general NIC scores around 45%.

The best 10/100 Ethernet card that is out there right now for Desktop PCs is the 3com NIC with a 3XP Processor.
http://www.3com.com/prod/en_CA_AMER/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CR990-TX-95

The 3XP processor cuts CPU Utilization down to 5% or even less!! But at a cost!

If you got $40 US, then I'd say go for that one, it will do you a life time and keep performance to maximum range possible.

DS-Master

My first one was a Realtek and I used them for all my rigs now.
I'm not saying they are the best, but they are cheap and work well and I "think" they are the "best" of the cheap NICs available.

im sorry but i have been seeing this a lot lately and it is just one something that angers me please call it either a nic or a network card or aven a network interface card just please dont say nic card cause all your saying is network interface card card and it just annoying sorry just in a ****y mood and that really sets me off nothing against anyone tho just wanted to get it straightend out

Back