• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! water pump electrical field interference?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aamramf4

Registered
Ok, I built a water cooling setup like 4 months ago, and never bothered fitting it all inside my case, my computer has looked like it was in a hospital ICU with tubes coming out of it and such, and I never bothered putting my water pump inside my case. Now the time is approaching fast for school, and I am pimping out my computer, bought round IDE cables, some new fans, and I am installing a custom designed tritium isotope shaped case window, so I want to put my water pump inside my case, but it is rather powerful, and it is AC powered, and when it gets within 6" of my monitor, the magnetic fields being generated are obvious. Is there any danger of killing components due to these fields, or data corruption? I was planning to do all the work on re-routing my water tubes tomorrow, and the original plan was to put my water pump right under the hard drives. Can someone give me some input as to whether I can put this thing inside my case, or how far it has to be from the drives? Please HURRY! I specifically set tomorrow aside to do this stuff, but I am afraid to until I get some help on this subject!

Wowzers. As you know, electrical components hate (and can't run on ) AC current. Because the pump is plugged into it's own jack, I dont think the AC will cause any problems. However, if my physics serves me well, the electromeagnetic fields (because it is a mag drive, and as you said; its powerful) might hurt the HDD. I have never heard of this happeneing before, but perhaps others here with Ph.D 's in O/C ing (or simply Physics) can help ya out...srry

correct, it is mag drive, and just to let you know the power of it, the box that generates the magnetic field is a little over 4" x 2" x 2" not including the impeller, so that'll give you an idea of the power of it. Is there any way I can shield it so the magnetic fields stay where they belong?

Last edited:
Heh I've got all my stuff piled on my desk right now (will change that lol) and it made me notice the interference of pump/fan with my monitor too. A nice and quick ghetto shielding tip would be welcome... so I can postpone tidying things up again. =D

It shouldn't hurt your HD's, they are very well shielded against magnetic interference because they're so sensitive to it by nature.

Magnetic shields are usually chunks of iron. There is a product called mushield you could try, but I don't know anything about costs on it. There are also several similar materials with similar names, eg. mumetal... There are also prefabricated monitor shields made from these materials, but I don't know how that will help with HD's :)

Alternately, you could try to build a faraday cage for your pump or your HD's, but then cooling it becomes an issue.

have you actually tried this, or are you speculating? sounds kinda sketchy to me, a non-ferrous metal blocking magnetic fields?

Last edited:
As far as your question goes, I dont think that the pump should cause any problems. The shielding on HDDs should be good enough for whatever that pump can throw at it.

Last edited:
The way I took it sounded like you were harping on him about what he was saying. If I took it that way, I may have not been the only one to take it that way. Thanks for saying it in a nicer tone.

well, I got it all hooked up, here's the results here (if the link doesn't work, try it again later, i'm in dialup, but i'm almost always on) ambient is about 80°. I am planning on getting a better radiator, and I have a 119 cfm fan on the way, so the cpu temps should drop a little more.

Back