• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I wanna go HIGHER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knif_00

I have an AMD Athlon T'bird 1.2 Ghz and it runs at 1.333 . . I just turned it up a notch in the bios. It's VERY STABLE and I want to go higher. CPU Temp for everyday browsing and running all my IM's is 51, after a while with QUAKE or GTA3 it runs around 55-58.
What can I do to turn up my CPU faster and keep these temps?

yah i recommend major cooling fixes b4 u start ocing hard core those temps are pretty scary i wouldnt run anything past 45 just for peace of mind. and thats full load.

It starts w/ cooling. Invest in a high performance HSF and lots of case fans. Also clean up inside the case for good air flow.

Then you can start trying to go over 1.33ghz.

These Temps are normal on the T'birds I thought. The Athlon Xp's usually run around 45 loaded (10 degrees cooler)
I just have a basic 'coolermaster' HS/F on my CPU right now and I have pretty addequate cooling in the case. I was thinking bout getting a Volcano7+ or something along those lines but it's loud enough now :p

Check out the heatsink list and consider a new heatsink. Also read through some of the links in my sig, there are some articles on what a good temp is, and what is a bad way to find your temps.

You should definately work on your cooling before overclocking more.

Like they said, look into better cooling. AX7 is bang of the buck, 25.00 for that performance, although to get those numbers in the performance chart, a high cfm fan like a Vantec Tornado 84 is needed. Use Arctic Silver 2/3 as thermal compound. It is the best thermal compound. If you want to shave off some more degrees, lap the AX7 to shave 2-3 degrees. Put on the heatsink good, don't lay it on the core move it around to go into the clips. I hold the heatsink in mid air (Keep your hands TIGHT that thing falls, NOT GOOD), put in the left clips in the left lug, then in mid air I line up the right clips into the lugs, snap it in for a clean install. Do not put too much force when holding it up to aim, must be done fast too much pressure can snap the lugs. The AX7 requires a little screwdriver (Flathead) to fit into the groove, and you must use a little one, too big it can slip.

About thermal paste, follow these instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

The thinner the better. Arctic Silver requires 48-72 hours to settle to its full potential. Remember to clean the core and base of the heatsink from any dirt, after that do not touch it since it's clean. Squeeze very little Arctic Silver onto the HEATSINK, and take little by little and put it on the core. I use a butter knife to smooth it out, and make it even, and remember to clean the blade of what your spreading it with.

Best of Luck.

Yodums

Thanks for the info you guys. I knew about the different fan models and have been looking into getting an AX-7. Just waiting for pay day really.
I know how to do the hsf installation, done it many of times on other PC's for and with friends.

Oh and check the 'alt mod' section for my case mod if interested :D

NEED EXPERT COOLING OPINIONS

ThermalRight SLK-800 Bare Copper Heatsink - $45.95
or
ThermalRight AX-7 Socket A bare heat sink - $29.95
What do you guys think? For either one I would have to get a fan, money isn't really an object but if 15 bucks is only going to save me like 2 degrees then I'll get the AX-7 and then buy another case fan to replace my intake.
NEED EXPERT COOLING OPINIONS

For those prices you can damn near go WC (the 45 dollar one that is)

20 for via 1300
18 for heatercore
Then tubing, fittings, something for a res, and some copper for your block...

its more manual labor for sure, but more fun too!! oh, and more effective

Back