• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't install win98se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xvi3tsoljahx

i thought it would autoboot guess not... maybe i need a bootup disk. I dont have any computers with 98 on it in order to make a boot up disk someone help me =\

change your first boot device to the cdrom in bios. it works perfectly. :D

i do that all the time.. someone told me it isn't a full version or some sort. I believe it is.. installed it on a 200mhz computer from boot odd tho =\

i should say i have mandrake on it... i installed it because i can't install win98se.... i went to bootdisk.com and gotten a win98 se bootdisk still no bootin to dos or anything =\

Try downloading a WinME startup disk from microsoft. It works just the same as 98. Once you've formatted and partion your drives, reboot and start computer with cdrom support. At the A: prompt, type in your cdrom prompt (D:,E:,F:) and type setup. That should work.

[email protected]
i found the winme blah blah... now one problem.. it says i have too lil space to install. I think linux sucked all of the drive space. Anyone know how i can format the computer... format linux off and install 98

FDISK the drive and delete all the partitions on it. You will then need to recreate your partitions and set one of them to bootable. Once that is complete, exit FDISK, reboot and you can format your drive.

it finds no harddrives.. just my fl oppy ?:( ? i have no clue i tried fdisking. i took my floppy off and linux loaded.. so harddrive can't be damage =\ I hate this old hp... it gave me trouble whenever it was alive!

Edit: the setup said i have to close the diskmanagment or some sort. i dunno how to do that anyone can help me? Im using mandrake 8.2 have no clue to do what

Last edited:
In addition to everyone else's suggestions, the only other thing that I can add is...possibly giving the following MSKB article a read. It explains in detail how to install Win98 on a HDD with no OS previously installed (it also applies to a HDD that is not empty, and warns of losing any and all data on the drive...when using the Fdisk and Format tools). Descriptions and instructions on using the Fdisk and Format commands are also contained in this article, including a description of the FAT file system...

How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System

These two links may also be of some help to you...

Description of Windows 98 Setup Process

How to Install Windows 98: Helpful Tips and Suggestions ;)

yes it is... i have mandrake 8.2 installed it won't clear ... =\ windows won't install because of linux... i need to take it off no clue how

So your computer detects your HDD when you boot up Mandrake, but not when you just run up FDISK? Why not boot up Mandrake, and then run FDISK?

Back