• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why don't people use multipliers 13.0 and above?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quailbert

Why don't I see very many people use multipliers 13.0 and up? Do they want higher FSB instead?

Say you take a 133mhz FSB and use a multiplier of 15.

Does that pose the same stress on the CPU as using a 166 FSB and 12.0 multiplier (ignore memory/pci/agp FSB changes for now)?

I ask this because I have a soltek sl-75drv w/ 1800+ and I'm not sure if it has a 1/5 divisor.

So I think it would be safer for me to overclock using multipliers and a little increase in FSB. But, I'm not sure if I should unlock the L10 Bridge to get multipliers above 12.5.

Any answers to these questions would be great!
Thanks,
Vinh Sam

Yes, but does stress on the CPU depend purely on MHZ? So if I use the multipliers to get 'X' MHZ will it put the same stress on the CPU if I use the FSB to get the same 'X' MHZ?

A cpu running at 1500mhz will be under a given load: it doesn't matter how you arrive at that speed, the cpu will be stressed the same.

The rest of your components are a different matter: running at higher fsb will increase the stress they operate under- and some don't like, in fact some will hardly tolerate ANY FSB over 133.

Most will go higher though, and some will run a LOT higher!

And that is why FSB Overclocks are preferred: the entire system is a lot faster.
Example: XP1700@1800 10x multi, 180mhz FSB and 360mhz memory bus speed (DDR)
Spec on the bus is 133, so the ram is meant to run at 266mhz.

A lot of memory bandwidth there, and I'd rather have that than cpu speed, for the most part. The memory needs a boost to keep up anyway!

Bus speeds are one of the biggest bottlenecks in pcs right now- large amounts of ram, cache and software tricks make hard drives keep up better, video is ahead of cpus, and so on: but all that data has to travel over the bus: the bigger the pipe, the faster the system will be.

Low multi's and the HIGHEST fsb you can get: only time to crank the multi up is if a component (including mobo) can't go any higher with FSB.

BTW: I kinda like FSB OC's :D

Actually you coulndt use 13x or above without modifing the XP. Their set up to run at 12.5x and below or 13x and above. I might modify my 1600's cause their stable 1.73 at default voltage so I could just make the default multi 13x.

Back