• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512sd or 256 ddr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the ddr is going to be faster for either.but if your running graphical programs i would say 512 is a minimum.

am i likely to notice any boost in performance going from 373 sd ram to 256 ddr and keeping my 1.2 t-brid and gforce 2 ultra?

or would i only notice a difference if u got an athlon xp to go with it/ or a t1 4200?

cant really afford to do all at once u see:eh?:

You will notice a distinct speed increase with the DDR. Faster boot times, faster program loading, and a boost to your 3d mark score. I have 512 SDR, and I put together a machine for a friend recently with 256 DDR. It booted up noticeably faster than mine.
Why hobble the performance of your eventual CPU and video card upgrades by running them with SDR?
I'm not you, but if I were I'd upgrade on this schedule DDR, then video card, then XP CPU, then probably more memory.
Then give it 6 months to a year, and start over again! :D

thanx alot :)

i will lookminto getting a mobo and ram then- if im just getting ram just now (no xp) i can probably get 512, or should i get ram AND cpu n just get rid of the 1.2 t-bird (seems a waste:confused: )

is the abit kx7-333 a decent enuf dr board?

I haven't kept up with the latest offerings from Abit. For info on that board, I'd do a search, maybe post in the Abit AMD motherboards section.
How quickly you upgrade depends on your finances, but I think going with the board and ram for now would hold you for a while.

Dr3w said:

i hear it is a good overclocker, but i would read up on it to see if there is anything bad with it that might involve something you wont like

Dr3w said:
thanx alot :)

i will lookminto getting a mobo and ram then- if im just getting ram just now (no xp) i can probably get 512, or should i get ram AND cpu n just get rid of the 1.2 t-bird (seems a waste:confused: )

Love the avatar.

IMHO, the KX7-333 is the best KT333 board right now. Stable, cheap, loves to overclock, and has lots of bandwidth. The only down sides I see? No onboard sound (Crap anyways), and a 1.85vcore limit -- it can always be modded. The thing loves high fsbs, takes anything just that the question is how can your components take it, my reference is here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3489004~root=ocusa~mode=flat

There's not much to conclude in this thread other than SDR will make your performance worst as boards that support SDR don't have much performance, usually buggy and it really cripples the Athlon XP system. CPUs these day benefit off the memory alot! That's why timings are so important.

Good Luck

thanks alot ppl.

ofcourse i would look into any board before i make a decision :)

i think i will just go for mobo and ram juts now and come christams get a cpu- graphics card can hold out for a while yet (is it likely to manage better under new ram n cpu in the likes of GTA3? just wondering)

thanks again

Dr3w said:
thanks alot ppl.

ofcourse i would look into any board before i make a decision :)

i think i will just go for mobo and ram juts now and come christams get a cpu- graphics card can hold out for a while yet (is it likely to manage better under new ram n cpu in the likes of GTA3? just wondering)

thanks again

The new processor + DDR will give the GeForce 2 Ultra a little more juice and it'll be playable under GTA3.

i bought a epox 8kha+ for my latest system.i've always been an asus man but figured i'd give epox a try.well all i can say is thank goodness i did.this has been one of the most stable mb's i've ever had.
dont hesitate tring an epox because it isn't the biggest name out there.it may be a mistake.

Back