• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last minute Decision Retail Radeon 8500 128mb or Abit siluro ti4200 64mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
geez, I've seen a billion post like this.. The G4 Ti4200 is FASTER period. Now if you're thinking long term the extra 64MB of the Radeon will help you run Doom 3 much better.. So long term 8500 short G4

Overclocker456 said:
geez, I've seen a billion post like this.. The G4 Ti4200 is FASTER period. Now if you're thinking long term the extra 64MB of the Radeon will help you run Doom 3 much better.. So long term 8500 short G4
speed difference negates the memory size when comparing the 8500 and the 64mb ti4200. there have been tests with the unreal tournament 2003 beta that suggest this.

check out anandtech's review.

Althogh the Ti4200 is a faster card, there are a couple of other issues.

Do you like to play games with A.F. enabled? If so, you may want to go with the R8500, as it's method is much quicker than that of the Ti4200.

However, if FSAA is very important to you, the Ti4200 is the way to go.

You can't really lose, both represent the best values in the market, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend:)

PreservedSwine said:
Althogh the Ti4200 is a faster card, there are a couple of other issues.

Do you like to play games with A.F. enabled? If so, you may want to go with the R8500, as it's method is much quicker than that of the Ti4200.

However, if FSAA is very important to you, the Ti4200 is the way to go.

You can't really lose, both represent the best values in the market, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend:)

exactly!!!!

Instead of a retail 128 DDR Radeon your better bet for less money if ya go the Radeon route is a 128LE reatil Radeon clocked at 250/250, these cards will all run 275/275 and much higher, mine does 305/305 with stock cooling no probs but I am waiting for my custom fit alpha before I run it at this speed indefintely.

with this choice there is a worthwhile savings over the 64 Ti4200 plus the long term life of the extra 64 ddr

cisco kid

well they are both the same price $146 shipped.....the cheapest i can find a 8500le is $150 plus shipping :( which is outa my price range i think ill get the 8500 but i have a question... doesnt bga memory overclock better than regular ddr memory???

Ghost68 said:
well they are both the same price $146 shipped.....the cheapest i can find a 8500le is $150 plus shipping :( which is outa my price range i think ill get the 8500 but i have a question... doesnt bga memory overclock better than regular ddr memory???
ATI Radeon 8500LE 87.00

well if they are the same price get the Ti4200 then.

But this is the best deal on an 8500 for $86 US

http://www.adamant.com/main.asp

Gigabyte board (64DDR though) but comes with hardware monitoring and overclocking utility

Also try www.ncix.com (canadian but ship to US, check out their US prices click US flag to enter that side of site) many locals have bought the OEM 8500LE for $97 US it is clocked at 230/230 but with a flash you should get 275/275 + and shipping is an extra $11.75 US, but I recommend finding a 8500LE 128 card retail ATI card, they are anywhere from 100-120 now online.

Not sure about BGA memory compared to DDR for overclock, since it is newer I assume it would overclock better but who knows, sometimes it is a crapshoot.

Cisco KId

i currently have the gigabyte card and i am completly disapointed (probably the only dissapionted owner in the forums tho...) i must have got a bad card..... so now im lookin to upgrade...

Ghost68 said:
i currently have the gigabyte card and i am completly disapointed (probably the only dissapionted owner in the forums tho...) i must have got a bad card..... so now im lookin to upgrade...

check out the other link I sent, I am nearing 10K I posted my link in a new thread , give ya idea of what to expect, check my sig for my hardware.....

anywyas I think an 8500LE is a sweet card for the cash

pricewatch.com has Gigabyte PRo 8500's not the LE like yours for $86

they also have the built by ATI 8500 LE 128 DDR card with gamepak for $110 + $4.95 shipping 3 days , thats a good deal like $30 cheaper than what you found shipped, check page #5 under 8500 video cards near the top

cisco kid

as far as the gigabyte 8500 pro < thats what i have its the gigabyte ap64d.... the good gigabyte card is the ap4d-H known as the deluxe model....

i am considering getting the retail 8500le but id rather get the plain 8500 so i dont have to overclock to get retali 8500 speeds

Ghost68 said:
as far as the gigabyte 8500 pro < thats what i have its the gigabyte ap64d.... the good gigabyte card is the ap4d-H known as the deluxe model....

i am considering getting the retail 8500le but id rather get the plain 8500 so i dont have to overclock to get retali 8500 speeds

it is not a big deal to overclock it all I did was d/l powerstrip and try 275/275 it ran solid now I run it at 290/290 most of time not a prob

bench it at 300/300 but will run this setting all the time once I add on alpha

cisco kid

well i got the retail 8500 128mb card i figure i should be able to get it to around 300/300 (hopefully) that and a 3 year warantee i cant complain...

right on I salute you with a colt 45 .. god I have not had one in like a few years, head be caving in

cisco

Back