• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 1.4 Ghz Celeron (Tualetin) without usings mods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danny84

Hello everbody,

first of all my English isn't very well, but I have a question for all of you.

I just bought myself a Celeron 1.4 Ghz (Tualetin), and I heard a lot good things about it. Especially about it's overclocking "features". Anyway let's get tot the business shall we?

My question is, how can I overclock my celly to higher clockspeeds without mods like PIN wrapping etc. I'm not handy in modding so I'd like to do it the safe way. I'm not in the need for extremely high speeds.

So if anywhone could give me a description of overclocking my celly, then I would be very happy.

Here are my specs, just for those who need them;

Motherboard Manufacturer unknown, I only know that it is a i815E chipset.
Furthermore, offcourse the celly 1400Mhz (Tualetin).
At this moment 128 MB SDRAM capable of running @ 133Mhz, I shall replace this with SDRAM capable of running @ 222 Mhz (CAS2)
AGP Port 4x (Fast Writes:eh?: )

I really hope that someone can help me out....

Thanx

Danny84

I'm not sure how much you actually know about overclocking, but here is a generic explanation.

The only way to overclock Intel chips is to raise the FSB speed. Of course, this also raises the PCI and AGP bus speeds also. The default FSB speed for your chip is 100 MHz, so you can try raising the FSB in small increments (probably via the BIOS). You may also have to raise the voltage to your chip (probably via the BIOS) in order for the chip to be stable at higher FSB speeds. The default voltage for your chip 1.5V.

There are a lot of other issues involved in order to successfully overclock your cpu. Keep reading the posts on this website and continue to ask questions.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS !!!!

First of all thanx for welcoming me on the forum :D

Well I don't really know much about overclocking. I know that you can raise the FSB and Vcore, but my main concern is how far can I go. I know that it's different for each processor unless they are the same speed, but isn't there a thing as "how much must I get out of it"? There is a sort of minimum I can get out of it I guess?

Thnx anyway for enlightening me about how overclocking actually works...

Each chip is different, with regards to how much you can get out of it. Also, I have not seen many people with the 1.4 Tualatin yet, so I'm not sure what you might expect. Typically you want to keep the CPU temp as low as possible, and at most around 40-45C.

If you do not Pin wrap, then you will probably be limited to somewhere around 1.7 volts. So, you can keep increasing the FSB and voltage until you reach the upper limit for your chip.

Of course, you will know this because your computer may not boot correctly into Windows, or your computer may randomly reboot for no reason, or you may get error messages when you try to run a CPU test program (such as Prime95, Sandra, etc.).

Danny84 said:
First of all thanx for welcoming me on the forum :D

Well I don't really know much about overclocking. I know that you can raise the FSB and Vcore, but my main concern is how far can I go. I know that it's different for each processor unless they are the same speed, but isn't there a thing as "how much must I get out of it"? There is a sort of minimum I can get out of it I guess?

Thnx anyway for enlightening me about how overclocking actually works...

Well first of all you have to figure out what board you're using because that plays a huge role in OCing. For all we know your board might not even support OCing! I suggest getting Sisoft Sandra or a similar program that will tell you what brand board you're using (although a visual inspection of the board should also give us clues as to it's manufacturer).

Then assuming your board supports OCing and has 1mhz FSB/0.025Vcore adjustments all you have to do is the following:
1) raise FSB by 1 MHZ and try to boot. Keep doing this until your comp doesnt boot windows anymore.
2) raise Vcore by 0.025V. Try and see if your comp boots windows now. If it does go back to step 1, if it doesnt up the voltage by an extra 0.025V.
3) once you cant get an extra MHZ from upping the Vcore or you reach the max Vcore you can use on your board, go back to the last FSB/Vcore setting that booted windows.
4)In windows run Prime95 for a few hours, if it runs fine congrats your OC is stable! if not then reduce the FSB by 1 mhz at a time until you can run Prime 95 for hours on end.
Note: If at any time your core temps go above 50C while running Prime95, you can do either of 2 things: get better cooling or reduce your speed. I strongly recommend against running your chip above 50C

Also about your RAM, if I were you Id try and see what I can do with that RAM you already have. It is very unlikely your chip will go over 120-125Mhz FSB so the RAM you have now might be able to run at the most aggressive timings your board allows (ie 222) at those speeds even though its PC133CL3. Also please not that PC133CL2 doesnt tell you about the RAS latency and the RAS to CAS delay so it might be 233 and not 222. You generally have to ask the manufacturer for those figures. Mushkin sells High Perf Rev2 PC133 222 and High Perf Rev3 PC150 222 which are both excellent but like I said you probably wont need them since you wont reach that kind of FSB.

Basically thats all there is to it.
Oh and welcome to the Forums!!!

Last edited:
Tam... that's one of the easiest intros to overclocking have have heard so far! nice one!

Back