• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I go Dual? What options are there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

I have always wondered, what are the main advantages of having a dual cpu system? I had a friend that had a dual system and he could never get a program to use the second CPU. Is there some way to get your OS to recognize the two CPU's as one faster CPU?:)

Also what types of dual CPU's are there available? I already know that the Athlon MP is a dual processor, but does Intel have a dual P4 of some kind?

Well I'll try to make this simple as possiable...first off most things nowadays don't support SMP but it is getting bigger and bigger by the year...that is why your friend can't get the program to use both...it just wasen't made for it...now the real advantages of SMP of a single processor is its multitasking abilites...which means that when you open lets say 2 games for ex...a single CPU will be begging for mercy because it can't run both games at the same time which casuses EXTREME slow down...now when you have a dualie and you open 2 games...1 cpu goes with one game and the other with the other game and NO slowdown at all....here is a stickie from diehrd and I quote it

What is SMP
SMP is a system with 2 or more processors equiped with an operating syatem that distributes the load across these processors as evenly as possibly.

Does that mean 1 processor will run the os and 1 will run my game ?

No the Operating system sends threads as soon as there is room to whatever processor is ready .

Is two 1 gig processors faster than one 1 gig processor If all other hardware is equal ?

No because of the added overhead of busses and because the operating system always distributes the load as evenly as possible across the 2 processors.Example if a game uses 50% of a single processor to run and you play the game on a dual the game will use 25% of each processor to run resulting in the same 50% load that we have in a single.Now add the bus for the dual and you are slightly slower in a game.

So if it is not faster why even have a dual system.
{It has been said a dual owner never goes back ! here is why.}

Lets encode a video on a 1 gig single with exactly the same hard ware as a dual 1 gig.On the single you will see processor usage at 100% durring the video encoding process.Now Try to open Outlook express Or play a game.

On the dual run the same Video encoding and you will see each processor at 50% which is equal to the single at 100%.Now open Outlook express,Play a game,and fold and the dual happly responds.

What Operating Syatems can I use in a dual ?

Windows NT,2000 pro,XP Pro,Linux,BSD,Solars,and others, but for 99% of use here I suspect the windows products will be used.

That explains the basics of dualie...hope you understand it...

Also...both intel and AMD make dual CPUs...the AMD on as you know is the MP chip...intel's Pentium Pros (200mhz) I know are dual compatiable...also they have Pentium 2 and 3 Xeons which are made for dual...and the Pentium 4 Xeon which now runs at 2.53mhz...

Hope this helps

Spec

I dont think there is any P4Xeon cpu´s with 133 MHz FSB on the market yet. And even if there was, no current P4Xeon motherboard supports those cpu´s.

regards,
Henry

Colin said:
Iwill claims the DP400 supports the 133 MHz FSB Xeons.

Do they? Where did you find that? The DP400 has the Intel 860 chipset, it does not support 133 Mhz FSB, at least not officially. And what 133 Mhz Xeons?

regards,
Henry

Henry - The last time I looked, the DP400 specs stated support for the new faster FSB Xeons, due later this year. Before I bought my DP400, I spoke with a couple of techs at Iwill and the confirmed the support.

There have been a few people who have overclocked 100Mhz FSB Xeons to 133Mhz FSB in the Iwill DP400. Rileydog successfully overclocked a pair of 2.2s. The clock generator chip on the Iwill DP400 support 133Mhz FSB and there is a jumper that sets it to that speed. One thing to note however is that the Rdram clock generators only work upto 400Mhz. So, that means you have 2 options. The first option is to set the Rdram multiplier to x3 as youd do if you were going to run PC600 Rdram at 100Mhz FSB. This will keep the Rdram clock at 400Mhz when the FSB is at 133Mhz. The second option is to replace the rdram clock generator chips with newer chips which are pin for pin compatible but support Rdram clock speeds of 533Mhz or higher. Then you can run your Rdram at PC1066 speeds. I believe Riley dog replaced his RDCGs with 533Mhz capable ones and was able to run both the FSB and Rdram clock at 533Mhz.

Anyway, right now the 2.4Ghz 100Mhz FSB Xeons are the fastest available.

Colin said:
Henry - The last time I looked, the DP400 specs stated support for the new faster FSB Xeons, due later this year. Before I bought my DP400, I spoke with a couple of techs at Iwill and the confirmed the support.

Ok? How much is the DP400 anyway, I cant find anybody who sells it.

SP said:
There have been a few people who have overclocked 100Mhz FSB Xeons to 133Mhz FSB in the Iwill DP400. Rileydog successfully overclocked a pair of 2.2s. The clock generator chip on the Iwill DP400 support 133Mhz FSB and there is a jumper that sets it to that speed. One thing to note however is that the Rdram clock generators only work upto 400Mhz. So, that means you have 2 options. The first option is to set the Rdram multiplier to x3 as youd do if you were going to run PC600 Rdram at 100Mhz FSB. This will keep the Rdram clock at 400Mhz when the FSB is at 133Mhz. The second option is to replace the rdram clock generator chips with newer chips which are pin for pin compatible but support Rdram clock speeds of 533Mhz or higher. Then you can run your Rdram at PC1066 speeds. I believe Riley dog replaced his RDCGs with 533Mhz capable ones and was able to run both the FSB and Rdram clock at 533Mhz.

Anyway, right now the 2.4Ghz 100Mhz FSB Xeons are the fastest available.

So the maxiumum speed between the CPU and memory is 400 Mhz in any case? Thats not so good.

What kind of performance could you expect from the Dual 3 Ghz Xeon, compared to a dualie AMD?

regards,
Henry

AGH!.... you guys got kinda off topic....

E_Tron for all pracitcal purposes, I would go with a MSI board (because of their overclockability) and dual AMD XP 1600's or higher.

You will see that you can play Warcraft 3, while having Return to Castle Wolfenstein minimized, while burning a CD, while downloading, and listening to MP3's :D Try doing that on a single CPU :D.

If you went with a single XP 2200, you would see better performance in one game, but It would never run all that stuff at the same time. It really depends on what you want to do.

Me.. I like to have everything going at the same time, So I went dual.

Programs like Adobe Photoshop, and some video encoders will use both processors.

You will have to use Win XP Pro, 2000 Pro, or NT, to get the OS to recognize both processors.

hope this helps :burn:

funkdamonkman said:
AGH!.... you guys got kinda off topic....

E_Tron for all pracitcal purposes, I would go with a MSI board (because of their overclockability) and dual AMD XP 1600's or higher.

You will see that you can play Warcraft 3, while having Return to Castle Wolfenstein minimized, while burning a CD, while downloading, and listening to MP3's :D Try doing that on a single CPU :D.

If you went with a single XP 2200, you would see better performance in one game, but It would never run all that stuff at the same time. It really depends on what you want to do.

Me.. I like to have everything going at the same time, So I went dual.

Programs like Adobe Photoshop, and some video encoders will use both processors.

You will have to use Win XP Pro, 2000 Pro, or NT, to get the OS to recognize both processors.

hope this helps :burn:

I just got back from my trip and I have 2 posts that got off topic:). That's ok, because the forum is to spread information.

I do a lot of multitasking. You have me pinned there. My dad has a PII with two monitors so we can have two full screen windows up at the same time. I'm using it right now. Overclocking forum on one and Yahoo Search on the other:cool:.

Also, with a dual system can you over clock each CPU differently (different bus and multiplier settings) or do they need to stay at the same speed?

Now I’m getting a little off topic here:D, but i have a T-bird machine running Win 2000 Pro and I cannot get it to network at all! I have a crossover cable I have been using to make direct links to different computers, but my Win 2000 machine has no software to make a home network (even on the install CD). Can you shed any light on this?

Back