• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling thoughts....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micamica1217

so it finaly got cool enough to shut the AC off here in New York.
and for two days I only had it on for a brief moment or two.

I knew that my temps would go up but I just did not realise by how much.

so water cooling is fully on my mind.
now I was going wet anyway, yet now I am getting crazed about what I have read lately.

I have read a lot on the current situation on dead cpu's.
just as much of them have died from extream cooling as voltage.
(at least thats my take on it)

looking at jd's situation, it looks like his last cpu died from the vapo temp...not volts or anything else.

yes, I could be flat out wrong....yet why are cpu's burning on air yet getting frostbite and dieing with extream cooling.

it also seems to be mostly "b" prossesors that are sensitive to how cold is too cold.

now I dont think I will ever get a pelter...yet do you think I shoud start to worrie about just plain water.

and what are your thoughts on the latest cpu deaths???

I should be ok with watercooling, yet now I'm getting scared.

mica

Last edited:
Watercooling will not take you below ambient, so what are you worried about? If you are afraid of thermally damaging your cpu I'd worry about poor air cooling (temp too high) or extreme active cooling (temp too low), though I find damage from the latter to be somewhat unlikely...

micamica1217 said:
so it finaly got cool enough to shut the AC off here in New York.
and for two days I only had it on for a brief moment or two.

I knew that my temps would go up but I just did not realise by how much.

so water cooling is fully on my mind.
now I was going wet anyway, yet now I am getting crazed about what I have read lately.

I have read a lot on the current situation on dead cpu's.
just as much of them have died from extream cooling as voltage.
(at least thats my take on it)

looking at jd's situation, it looks like his last cpu died from the vapo temp...not volts or anything else.

yes, I could be flat out wrong....yet why are cpu's burning on air yet getting frostbite and dieing with extream cooling.

it also seems to be mostly "b" prossesors that are sensitive to how cold is too cold.

now I dont think I will ever get a pelter...yet do you think I shoud start to worrie about just plain water.

and what are your thoughts on the latest cpu deaths???

I should be ok with watercooling, yet now I'm getting scared.

mica

Victim #1 speaks up:

If you're an owner of any "B" northies, look for temps between 20c~25c for the best cooling, mine died due to extreme cooling or I could probably had a bad chip to start with. According to INTEL themselves, extreme cooling to the new chips aka "B Northies" will highly damage 'em pretty fast. Mine (2.26Ghz) died in less than 1 week although it was running @ 1.7v @ 2880MHz.

Back