• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fixed TH7-ii RAID 'so called dead board -even by Abit!'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jo

After sending my board to Abit, they told me it was completely dead and nothing could be done but I suggest any of you try the following if you have a dead th7ii board.
I was looking for a loose connection by turning the board on and pressing and tapping components all over, and I discovered I could unlock it from the jammed on reset state (reset LED switched off), but not make it boot -yet- still a display of 00.

There are several surface mount fuses marked FXXX, I found a blown one by pressing the tops of each, the conductivity of my finger was enough to make the connection and hence make the board work, I bridged the blown fuse with solder. The board works fine now!!! Through entire error check to code FF and booting fine.
Im suprised they didn't check the fuses when they diagnosed the board (Abit UK), but they did replace 2 transistors that had blown preventing a cooling fan output working properly, so im not unhappy.

Your post is making me consider to go look at several motherboards of mine that died. I lost three socket 7 mobo's due to a crappy power setup in my house creating lots of brownouts that I was unaware of. I wouldn't have bought the UPS if I did not notice the power supply's ATX connecter, the plastic around some pins was brown/black and some of the motherboards ATX connection were too. I also lost an T-bird MSI mobo post UPS, not sure why it just up and died.

I also had a six month old 17" monitor die which I wouldn't be suprised if it was from brownouts. One day during a quake 2 session the screen kept on getting bigger and bigger. I had a not a clue what was up so I kept on shrinking it down and turned it on/off. Then I hit degauss and the monitor went poof and all I could smell was burning plastic. Too bad the manufactuerer went out of business so I got shafted on that one.

My UPS is consistently kicking the backup battery on and off. Especially during the summer when I am running the air conditioner. $400 well spent IMO. Not even a power outage can stop the gaming :) No more worries about losing a saved game or hardware going poof.

Wombat Woo said:
Your post is making me consider to go look at several motherboards of mine that died. I lost three socket 7 mobo's due to a crappy power setup in my house creating lots of brownouts that I was unaware of. I wouldn't have bought the UPS if I did not notice the power supply's ATX connecter, the plastic around some pins was brown/black and some of the motherboards ATX connection were too. I also lost an T-bird MSI mobo post UPS, not sure why it just up and died.

I also had a six month old 17" monitor die which I wouldn't be suprised if it was from brownouts. One day during a quake 2 session the screen kept on getting bigger and bigger. I had a not a clue what was up so I kept on shrinking it down and turned it on/off. Then I hit degauss and the monitor went poof and all I could smell was burning plastic. Too bad the manufactuerer went out of business so I got shafted on that one.

My UPS is consistently kicking the backup battery on and off. Especially during the summer when I am running the air conditioner. $400 well spent IMO. Not even a power outage can stop the gaming :) No more worries about losing a saved game or hardware going poof.

wow! where do you live where the power is so funky? just curious.:eh?:

No its just how the morons wired the house. Instead of each room having its own breaker and the major power hog appliances like the fridge, dishwasher, microwave, etc, etc on their own thing from the box, instead one outlet is wired to another outlet, is wired to another outlet, yadda yadda.

Back