• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't resume from sleep mode, for reasons unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I've been having odd issues lately with my main PC.

Not certain whether the problem is related to the motherboard, the video card, the CPU, or the memory.

It often won't resume from sleep mode lately.

One time I tapped the button on the mouse and the PC fired up, lights on and fans spinning in the case, but there were no lights/led's coming on for the mouse or keyboard. Then, another time I woke it by tapping the space bar on the keyboard, with the same symptoms. The last time it did this I saw POST code 32 on my board's onboard LED readout screen, which according to what I found from looking online has something to do with memory initialization or memory post-initialization depending upon where I looked.

Another time it powered up, lights on in the case, fans spinning, and the led's on the keyboard and mouse were lit, but I didn't have any signal on any of my monitors. After unplugging and re-plugging the monitor cables, I was able to get the login screen to come up and log back into my computer.

I don't know where to look. Not sure whether it's my graphics card which I just purchased last month, or the CPU which I've had for ~7 months or so now, or the motherboard which I've had for over a year and-a-half.

It's had this problem before, where it powers on but with no led's lit on the mouse or keyboard and no output to the monitor at the same time with my 4690K I previously had in this system and my GTX 780 I had some time ago, and the 1866MHz RAM I was running previously (running a 2667MHz kit right now). It had been quite a while since it had done this, but in the past three days it's probably done it four times now, which is really rather odd and more frequent than usual. I'd put up with it the previous times because it would only do it once usually, and then it wouldn't do it again for 2-6 more months. The CPU and memory are not currently overclocked (oddly enough, I reset to stock last week for unrelated reasons to see what performance I gained in games by overclocking (and/or what I lost by resetting to stock), and neither is the GPU.

I've seen other reports online in my research of people having similar issues with Z97 boards and/or Haswell/Haswell Refresh (Devil's Canyon) CPU's, for what that's worth, but they were reporting issues with booting up (which I haven't seen yet on my system).

It may have something to do with me recently having to solder a new transistor to the board (to get the Intel LAN/Ethernet port working again, which I'm happy to say did work again after I soldered the replacement in place) (pulled from a dead/damaged Z97 Extreme6, just to make sure I had the right transistor), after I accidentally knocked the old one off the board while swapping the video card for a different one (for benching), but I did a decent job of desoldering the damaged component and soldering another one in its place. So, I have my doubts that this is the reason, as it was doing this long before my mishap with the transistor.

Then, yesterday it randomly switched the theme from Aero to Basic, for no obvious reason while I was just surfing the web. I noticed at the time that my GPU's temperature was hovering around 55-58°C, no idea why it would be that high while just surfing the web, I wasn't even watching a video or playing any graphically intensive games.

Last edited:
I swapped out the 980 Ti for my 780 Ti yesterday as a test, just in case that was the problem.

This morning after my PC was in sleep mode for 4-4.5 hours (woke up in the middle of the night and realized I didn't put computer into sleep mode before I fell asleep). It resumed from sleep mode with no issues this morning. Problem is I don't know how long it has to remain in sleep mode before it is unable to be woken normally, so it may just be it wasn't in sleep mode long enough to manifest the symptoms (or it could be there is some incompatibility between the 980 Ti and my board (somewhat unlikely, as my Z77 board seems to run better with that card than the previous two (GTX 260 and Radeon HD 4850, respectively) I had installed), or some hardware malfunction).

Also swapped the 980 Ti into my Z77 system to test it in that, and that system was also able to resume from sleep mode this morning with no issues.

Ran DDU earlier today as a precaution also (after waking my PC), found drivers for two AMD cards (6950 and 7850) I tested on here last year and this year. And drivers for a GTX 680, two separate GTX 780's (one with two different driver versions, as I upgraded the driver at one point), two separate 780 Ti's (I was running SLI at one point), and the aforementioned GTX 980 Ti. Hopefully after getting all of that cleared out there is some reduction in unused driver clutter, I did see an increase in available storage space on my OS drive after that.

Techy,

An older story about sleep mode, why I am 'gunshy' about using it and use the 'power options' instead.

A couple of DFI boards that I still use after attempting to wake from sleep mode would reboot and reset my BIOS to default. Perhaps Mr. Scott can supply better details as he is one of our experts on the DFI boards but it was a known 'bug' that you found out about only after using 'sleep mode.' I never went back to that mode again.

And I think we all know that sometimes it's the combination of components and their drivers that creates some of these kind of problems rather than any one of them. These things interact in subtle ways.

I haven't heard of the sleep mode bug in a decade. I thought we were by that by now.
I can kinda see the possibility of it happening again due to the amount of Pstates involved now. There are at least twice as many.
I don't use sleep mode either Dave. Haven't in a long long time.

I haven't heard of the sleep mode bug in a decade. I thought we were by that by now.
I can kinda see the possibility of it happening again due to the amount of Pstates involved now. There are at least twice as many.
I don't use sleep mode either Dave. Haven't in a long long time.

Ya ain't the only one. I've never used sleep mode. Can't remember the last time I ever did to tell you the truth. I've always disabled it. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I never use it either. Always had problems with it years ago so got in the habit of disabling it from the get go on a new rig.

Techy,

An older story about sleep mode, why I am 'gunshy' about using it and use the 'power options' instead.

A couple of DFI boards that I still use after attempting to wake from sleep mode would reboot and reset my BIOS to default. Perhaps Mr. Scott can supply better details as he is one of our experts on the DFI boards but it was a known 'bug' that you found out about only after using 'sleep mode.' I never went back to that mode again.
That one's news to me. Having owned several DFI boards myself (NF4 Ultra-D, SLI-DR x3, SLI-DR Expert x2) I would have thought I would have run across that at some point, though all those boards were used for benching and I usually don't put systems I'm benching on into sleep mode.

I know there's an issue on some boards where they will work in one sleep state but not another ((S1) Power On Standby vs. (S3) Suspend To RAM), because I had to fight with that issue with my dad's desktop last year when after a BIOS update it wouldn't resume from sleep mode properly under one (happened to be the one it defaulted to under the new BIOS defaults, which was S1/Power On Standby), but it worked perfectly fine in the other sleep state (S3/Suspend to RAM).

I used sleep mode on my previous PC which I used for around 5 years (Intel socket LGA775 Q8400 OC'd to 3.6GHz in its final form), and never had an issue with it. Nor did I have any issues on my PC prior to that (AMD Socket 754 Athlon 3200+) that I used for around five years. Maybe my experience is unique, but I've never had any real issues related to putting my PC's into sleep or hibernate modes up until just recently.

Last edited:
I think I may have found the culprit. After I disabled "deeper sleep" states in the BIOS (C6 and C7) it's been able to resume from sleep mode normally three or four times in a row without any issue. It may be one of those specifically that was causing the issue, or it may be both of them. I just shut down all the deeper sleep options, as I read somewhere about someone having an issue with those options.

Not sure why it does this with the 980 Ti, but not the 780 Ti. Only major difference I can think of is that UEFI BIOS thing, which may or may not be an issue as I'm running Windows 7 (which isn't a UEFI OS as far as I know). Edit: never mind that, the 780 Ti has a UEFI BIOS as well. Now I don't know what the difference is.

Last edited:
I had a problem with resuming from sleep sometimes and it was my sound card that I removed to fix the problem. It's nice to have everything open the way it was left before sleep.

Back