• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat 5 Stealth???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Ok, well iv decided that any type of network other than one using my existing router (free promo, its a d-link, with firewall and all) is not monitarily feesable. So now im down to pigybacking a cat 5 down thru the duct hole (not duct itself) into the garage (under room with computer) and then running it into the adjacent room where the second computer will be located if this works. Now, running cat5 thru the garage is no problem looks wise or anything else wise, but into the actual room, thats a problem, we dont really want cat 5 around the ceeling of a quarter of the room, we dont really want to drill a hole thru the garage wall either but both of those seem necessary evils, so pretyt much is there any way around this (i know i can use plastic plates where the holes are but that wont help much) is there a way to stealth the cat 5 so that its invisible unless your looking for it and doing so with out causing noticable damage to the wall (i thought about cutting a groove in the drywall and then patching it over with plaster and painting it the color of the rest of the room, the problem here is that the finish on the drywall is a fake stuco like effect (created by covering the wall in ceeling plaster and then scraping all the little pieces off the wall) Now im not going to be able to do that in this case, im pretty much suck, the baseboards are tightly seated to the floor so no running that way.

if theres carpet in the room, you can run it under that... I'd have to see pics to be more helpful

yes i have carpet but where it meets lanolium it has the metal end things, i dont think it will work but ill give it a try, i dont want to rip up all the carpet

something just poped into my head, i dont know how feesable it is, is there such thing as a cat5 to cat3 adaper that would allow me to use the phone line or would there bee too much interference w/o decoder card?

well, i dunno if there is a converter, but it's just wire. you could wire it up by hand, as long as you're only running 10baseT. That only uses 4 wires. you'd need 4 wires in the phone line as well. If you have 8 in your cat5, then you probably can't.

ok, i have a cheep web cam, i might get pix tomorrow but i have alot to do, and im going to my dads in the afternoon so i wont be able to take pix then.

ok, i went into paint and drew up a little thing trying to diagram this. Here it is:

cat5%20wireing.JPG
The compression screwed up from bitmap to jpg, the little blue on burgandy lettering sais "cat5 under carpet along edges" everything else is good. Do you think this will work, i will need probly 100 ft of cat5, doing it this way i dont think it will be verry noticable. And should i run under the carpet or under the carpet and the pad?? (under pad is cement foundation)

You could try painting the cable. If you dont move it after its painted it shouldnt flake off.

Could you also remove the sheilding in areas along the ceiling and that will make the wires much thinner.

well i dont think painting will look too good, and if i strip the shielding well problems are bound to sprout from that. Do you suggest i learn how to crimp my own cable for this project?

Do you have a basement under that room and the closet? That's how I'd run it, then just come up through the floor under the jack.

If there's no basement, then you can run it under the carpet like that, just try to keep it close to the tack strips around the edge, that way the wire won't suffer from being treaded upon. You could even run it on the outside of the tackstrip more easily.

The metal edging can be lifted with a screwdriver to facilitate tucking the cable into this area, there's usually plenty of room for it, and the metal will protect the cable from foot traffic.

Then there's the last ditch solution, sell your nice D-link to a pal, and get the wireless one for $150. I know it's not the cheapest solution, but it's an option.

remove from wall and route a channel down the back of your wood baseboard trim and glue the cat 5 into it and run it around via the baseboards where it will be hiding behind it

Well, thers not a basement under the room because the room IS the basement (finished, hence the furnace room which is just the furnace and water heater with a room built around it. I like the idea of running under the baseboard, but im not that skilled with tools and im afraid id make the baseboard look really crappy in the process.I might give it a shot, of course this will probly not be done because of price and such

hehe its probably simpler then I implied

the baseboard is nailed/glued down.. a claw hammer should pull this off.

using a router or some sort of drill just carve a groove into the back of the baseboard that will alow the cat5 to sit in there so the baseboard will sit flush against a flat surface likethe wall..

then glue and/or nail it back in place

go to a home depot and buy a yard or 2 of baseboard wood and practice a little.

I would think a dremel with the router stand accessory would be all you'd need

i understand whats implied here, i just am not that handy with wood and such. I could probly put it off but there would be mars in the baseboard and on the wall

Back