• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep loosling network connection on second PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

I've set up a network about a week or so ago. Everything seemed to be going fine. But now all of a sudden I keep loosing the network connection every couple of minute's then it will come back after a little while sometime's. But the PC downstair's is fine all the time. Never looses it's connection.
I'm running a Linksys 4 port router. Both PC's have Win XP installed. What could be causing this.

Chech the obvious first. Make sure their IP addy's are on the same subnet. Make sure the subnet mask on both machines are the same (as with the router). Make sure the computers have the routers IP address in as the gateway.

If all of that checks out, check the properties of the NIC cards in the computers. Make sure they are all on 100 Meg Full duplex and make sure you router is full duplex if it's adjustable. If your router is only half dulplex and can't be changed, then set the computer's NICs to half also.

Kingslayer said:
Chech the obvious first. Make sure their IP addy's are on the same subnet. Make sure the subnet mask on both machines are the same (as with the router). Make sure the computers have the routers IP address in as the gateway.

If all of that checks out, check the properties of the NIC cards in the computers. Make sure they are all on 100 Meg Full duplex and make sure you router is full duplex if it's adjustable. If your router is only half dulplex and can't be changed, then set the computer's NICs to half also.
Thank's for the tip's. I'll check them out. Right now I cannot get internet access or network access on it at all anymore. I'll double check all of that first.

Go into your router firmware and click on the DHCP tab, Make sure that you have the DHCP server: set to enable and that you have the # of DHCP users set to atleast the # of computers that you are running.

bdf24, whats the status? is the problem fixed?
try updating the firmware to latest one. I know the earlier ones had time limits for DHCP release.

AZN

AZN said:
bdf24, whats the status? is the problem fixed?
try updating the firmware to latest one. I know the earlier ones had time limits for DHCP release.

AZN
Well I don't know what's going on. I think it may lie in the motherbaord not the router or configuration. Now it seem's to be working. But this has happened before. Then I'll restart and it wont work anymore. And sometime's I'll reeboot and it wont install the NIC. It'll say there's not enough system resource's for this device. I cannot seem to get it to take it's own seperate IRQ. it either want's to share with the sound card wether it be add on or onboard. Or the USB. There is an IRQ not being used but I can't get it to take it. I've tried changing them in the bios, moving PCI slot's (Tried all of them).
I think I may try swapping NIC's from my main system to this one. Maybe the NIC is going bad.

If anyone has anymore Ideas let me know. It's getting frustrating!

yes i hate it when things just doesnt work. from reading what u wrote it sounds like an older system running win98.

I does sound more hardware related if u say sometimes the nic doesnt show on the boot up. Have u ruled out viruses? Sometimes they do funny things to computers. If u have the extra hardware its always good to switch just to see if it helps. GL let me know how it goes

AZN

AZN said:
yes i hate it when things just doesnt work. from reading what u wrote it sounds like an older system running win98.

I does sound more hardware related if u say sometimes the nic doesnt show on the boot up. Have u ruled out viruses? Sometimes they do funny things to computers. If u have the extra hardware its always good to switch just to see if it helps. GL let me know how it goes

AZN
Actually it's a system I just built running Win XP Pro. it consist's of:
Shuttle AK31. Rev. 3.1
Duron 950
Linksys NIC
256 meg's Micron PC2100
4 gig (older) HD
I've tried swapping cable's and they all work fine. My main rig run's great. Never had a problem with the connection. Just the second one. It was going fine then this stuff just started happening out of thin air? I just upgraded the firmware for my router. It's a Linksys BEFSR41.
I'll see if that take's care of it. If not I'll swap NIC's from one machine the other to see if thing's change then.

I'll let ya know.

well you probably have most likly tried this but waht the hell right?;)

click start-->run--> type in "command" (no quotes)-->and click run-->then a MSDOS window should come up-->type in "ipconfig/release" and press enter-->then type in "ipconfig/renew" and then enter....it should find the new network...

Also make sure your windows settings are "obtain IP automaticly" and "Enable DHCP"

Hope this helps

Spec

Spec_Ops2087 said:
well you probably have most likly tried this but waht the hell right?;)

click start-->run--> type in "command" (no quotes)-->and click run-->then a MSDOS window should come up-->type in "ipconfig/release" and press enter-->then type in "ipconfig/renew" and then enter....it should find the new network...
Also make sure your windows settings are "obtain IP automaticly" and "Enable DHCP"
Hope this helps

Spec

Well I swapped NIC's and the problem was still there. So I reformated and reinstalled Window's XP. Then I reset the router back to default config. Then it was working. Till I started getting BSOD's on it now. Now I lost the connection again, and can't get it back. I really think it's the motherboard causing the problem.

BSOD from a fresh install??? o dear, sounds like u got hardware issues. I take it, that is from a none OCed system too.
I got a funny story. 1 of my rigs i had never had a problem with. I never OCed it and it never gave me BSOD. Never hanged, no errors this was a rock solid system. Since i got like 7 PCs i tend to rape parts from here and there sometimes. Well on my last rape, i didnt plug the power connector onto the MB that well. It was on just enough to power on the system and operate. However, if u hit the desk and moved the PC the connector would wiggle and BOOM i would get the BSOD. I used the computer forawhile and couldnt figure it out. I was stumped i tell u. Each time i play starcraft it would happend. I'd get excited and boom the BSOD. Man this was really annoying, BSOD during a kick (_._) game. So i began to wonder. Y in the world this happend usally when gamming? Well when i'd get excited i may have kicked or moved the mouse to hard and bumped my desk. Ah that was it. the excitement moved the desk therefore jiggling the darn connector.
Ofcourse i didnt know it was the connector untill i took the panel off to look at the MB. I noticed the connector only half way on, so i snapped it down tight. No more problems ever. haha, the silly thing u overlook sometimes.
anyways, just a silly story i wanted to share to u. with that said, sometimes windows act real funny when hardware doesnt work properly.

AZN

AZN said:
BSOD from a fresh install??? o dear, sounds like u got hardware issues. I take it, that is from a none OCed system too.
I got a funny story. 1 of my rigs i had never had a problem with. I never OCed it and it never gave me BSOD. Never hanged, no errors this was a rock solid system. Since i got like 7 PCs i tend to rape parts from here and there sometimes. Well on my last rape, i didnt plug the power connector onto the MB that well. It was on just enough to power on the system and operate. However, if u hit the desk and moved the PC the connector would wiggle and BOOM i would get the BSOD. I used the computer forawhile and couldnt figure it out. I was stumped i tell u. Each time i play starcraft it would happend. I'd get excited and boom the BSOD. Man this was really annoying, BSOD during a kick (_._) game. So i began to wonder. Y in the world this happend usally when gamming? Well when i'd get excited i may have kicked or moved the mouse to hard and bumped my desk. Ah that was it. the excitement moved the desk therefore jiggling the darn connector.
Ofcourse i didnt know it was the connector untill i took the panel off to look at the MB. I noticed the connector only half way on, so i snapped it down tight. No more problems ever. haha, the silly thing u overlook sometimes.
anyways, just a silly story i wanted to share to u. with that said, sometimes windows act real funny when hardware doesnt work properly.

AZN
Yeah, I'm gonna run thru the whole box tonight when the kid's go to bed. Then I'm gonna try reformating and installing Win 2K on it instead of Win XP. You never know. it maybe a bit more tolerable to 2k then it is with XP.

Now the wife just blew the breaker upstair's. I turned the PC back on and it's working now? Go figure. I'm running window's update now to see if that fixes any issue's. I finaly got the PC to give the NIC it's own IRQ. I had to put it in the PCI slot right below the AGP slot. It assigned it IRQ # 5. I think that may have taken care of the BSOD's (I hope so anyway, Keeping finger's crosseed).
I fill you guy's in tonight on how it's running.

I dont mind u PM me on aim or msn if u like.
aim cravenkay
msn [email protected]

will putting in a static IP help? Atleast that way the nic wont have to refresh itself, it will always have a IP. It sounds silly but give it a try.
Dont forget to set the IP starting range if u enter a static IP, make sure the dhcp starting range is higher then the static IP u set.

AZN

Well it's been up all day and has'nt lost it's connection yet. So Maybe just maybe I got the problem fixed. It may have been an IRQ conflict all along. I'll see how it work's for a while. I have thought about putting in a static IP address. I'll have to look into exactly how's it's done though.

edit 4:15pm
Well it just lost the connection once again. Can't get it back on the network. I'll try Static IP addressing but after that I'm at a loss. I have no idea what's up then.

Last edited:
PM me if u need help setting up static and the router. if u dont set the router up correctly with static IPs, u will get IP conflicts.

AZN

AZN said:
PM me if u need help setting up static and the router. if u dont set the router up correctly with static IPs, u will get IP conflicts.

AZN
Well I've tried the static IP addressing and it worked for a little while. But then I lost the connection again. I ended up reformating agian to try installing Win ME once. But that would'nt install the network card at all. It keep's installing the driver's, Then when It come's up. There's a yellow explanation mark by it. It say's there's not enough system resource's to use the device. What the hell! I do have internet now by using the USB connection on the modem. Then it run's fine. But it won't take the network card. I'm thinking the board is messed up bad. After all it is a refurbished Shuttle AK31 from newegg. Must not have repaired everything on this one. I'm gonna get a hold of them and see if they'll replace it. I don't think's it's been a month yet. Although I think the refurbished part's are 15 day. We'll see.

so u keep losing the nic huh... yes that has happend to me before. I just changed pci slots cuzz i had alot and it worked fine. maybe the board or the pci slots are bad. so the usb nic is flawless?
since u have win98 and me, u should get a ram recovery program like memoturbo. That scrubs and refreshes ur ram, it works very good for that OS. Win98 and has a crappy ram scrubber. I found memoturbo to help me with win98 bigtime.

AZN

AZN said:
so u keep losing the nic huh... yes that has happend to me before. I just changed pci slots cuzz i had alot and it worked fine. maybe the board or the pci slots are bad. so the usb nic is flawless?
since u have win98 and me, u should get a ram recovery program like memoturbo. That scrubs and refreshes ur ram, it works very good for that OS. Win98 and has a crappy ram scrubber. I found memoturbo to help me with win98 bigtime.

AZN
Yeah, I think my 15 day warrenty on the board ended today. Oh, well I'll see if there still willing to exchange it. If not is there any way I can get an adapter of some sort that would allow me to run the connecton from my router to a USB slot and run the system in my network?

Back