• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp problem or have I reached the limit of my core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulie

My VisionTek Ti4400 can loop 3dmark all day at 317mhz core, but at 318mhz it always freezes as soon as Dragothic starts. It looks as if I reached the limit of my core, most likely this is not a temp. problem right?

You can point a fan at the Corb, and try the 318 core again. If it still crashes, then you know its not the heat problem. But it may not be you reached your videocard limit, Many other factors can casused this instablility. Whats your FSB and which divider you are using? CPU speed?

You can try to measure your vid card temp and see if it's too high. I think that everything above 60C sould be too high, but you will probably find more detailed results.

SAme problem here on my Ti4600. 317 will run. 318 locks. I believe it to be heat related , as I pulled the stock cooler off , cleaned the GPU of the white guk , lapped the GPU surface , reapplied ASII.

Now before I did all that the card would lock at 310 core. Now does 317. I ve got a TT GF4 cooler comin ups today , and will post back if that helped my OC.

I have a 92mm ~60cfm fan blowing across the entire card. I really don't think it's temp related problems. Maybe a volt mod is the only way to go for higher oc. I'm too chicken sh*t to do that though :eh?:

be warned on the volt mod.. I did my Radeon8500 mod using X-bit labs as a guide, and my card died in about 3months.. something to think about.. it can shorten the life of the card..

and by the looks of the gains, its not really worth it for a few more fps.. is it??

Gravy ,

Did you use a variable resistor in your vmodd? Also what was the stock voltage.....and the OC voltage?

The xbitlab Ti4600 vmodd only calls for a small incease from 1.66 to 1.81. I dont see hoe that can really hurt with better tahn stock cooling.

I didnt do the mod myself, I had my dad do it.. I would pooch it if I did it :) He has been working in the electronics field for 30+yrs..

I don't have the sheet anymore from when we originally did the mod, but it was tested before and afterward and did fall into spec..

Now I could have had a bum card too, as it wouldn't oc more than 5mhz when stock.. thats right 5mhz.. would lock every time above that.. tried fresh installs, drivers, new fan and ramsinks.. and only after the mod was I able to get it to 297/300 and run stable..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/radeon8500-overclocking/

Back