• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL Service for Ontario

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I just Joined VIF.com. they offer DSL for 34.00$ a month and NO CAP!!!!
I was w/ ISTOP.com and they had a good deal...during peak hours you could download 20 gigs but off peak(3 am to 8 am) you could have unlimited bandwidth. I thought it was a good idea until I got charged extra last month. I complained and they said I needed to Log off and back on again at 3:00 am and again at 8:00am...WTF!!! I was steamed that they did not advertise this slight nuisance....so I switched to VIF.com.
Does anyone else know of other ISP who offer dsl service and no bandwidth cap. It seems that aprox 10 companies here in ontario have some sort of cap and one company was charging $38 a month w/ a 2 gig bandwidth cap...that is insane!!

I wish i did not buy my dsl modem and went w/ ROGERS instead.....arrrggghhhh.
:mad:

I've had bad experiences with Rogers. Constant downtimes, it was quite annoying (and this was for a business).

I know of one other DSL service. Primus doesn't have any bandwidth caps. I'm considering switching to them. How is VIF?

-DarkArctic

I just Logged on w/ VIF yesterday(1.2m). $34.00/month and no cap! Vif requires that your modem be G-lite compatible.
Speed seems faster than istop. I dont know about downtime....Istop had lots of problems..they went down frequently, problems w/ my billing and premature disconection from service.
Sympatico had the best service of them all, but we all know about that silly cap and price increase.
I am going to look into primus as a backup.

Well, my Modem(bboo4o Gnet-dsl) was $150.00(can) here in Ottawa...in fact the price has been reduced to $145.00!!! That is a good deal for a DSL Modem. I am happy w/ it..but then again i know very little about modems and quality. The specs are below if you are interested:
http://www.gvc.ca/products/broadband/dslmodem/dsl-3040-specs.html
the address for Istop is:

http://www.istop.com/contact.html
remember that their service sucks!!! but I am sure they will sell you the Modem.

I Know that prices in Ottawa for Modems are around $200+..that is why i snagged the GNet.
Ask around in your city...or post a wanted ad here on the forums.
Worse comes to worse you could rent the modem from your ISP.
I am kinda kicking myself for not going w/ Cable..oh well, at least I saved a few bucks and finally found a peppy & affordable ISP:D

Back