• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED iPad reset woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Back story:
I bought an ipad mini primarily to do Facetime with my daughter, who lives outside the state.

After a while, we just don't do Facetime anymore, so the ipad's only real function was to control casting Netflix to the TV.

That changed, an IOS update trashed the Netflix app, and a couple other apps.

I'm P.O.'d, so the ipad sits in the desk drawer for 8 months, meanwile I handed off the Netflix duties to my [Linux powered] laptop.

Maybe a month ago I did a factory reset, thinking that I'd sell the ipad. I didn't set up any accounts, but apparently set a password.

I can't imagine forgetting a 4 number password, it "should have" been the same one I used before, and that I use on my Android cell phone.

So, I google "iPad factory reset~forgot password" and the only 'wisdom' I get, is to connect the ipad to the computer I sync with,

and open itunes and blah blah blah...as described here.

I apologise for the lengthy post but here's the crux of the matter:

1. even though I had made note of my username / password for AppleID / iTunes....they just don't g*d d**n work!

It will take Apple 24 hours to get back with me, via a phone call. Somehow got AppleID/iTunes password changed.

2. You can use iCloud to fix your FUBAR'd Apple device but....does anybody really know how to access whatever stuff you have there?

Finally got logged into iTunes account, and am waiting for several GB's of update software to D/L. which on my 3MB/sec DSL connect, will

be waiting a while.

I'm about out-of RANT for now, if anyone knows a better, more direct, easier way to do a factory reset, pls let me know. ;)

Edit: Cleaned up the post a bit.

Last edited:
A bit of a pain having a device so attached and dependent on the parent company's whole universe, but to a lessor extent, the Android devices are in a similar situation.

So, the software download & install succeeded, and the iPad got it's Factory Reset.

Rather than sell the iPad, my "plan B" for it was to use it as an e-reader.

Got the Amazon e-reader app , got several free e-books and downloaded a purchased e-book from Amazon....easy peasy

All the whing-sniveling and cussing i did in post 1 finally paid off. :D

Back