• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200 MHz FSB How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djb23

My 1.2 GHz Duron processor is listed at a FSB of 200MHz. The mobo I got is the MSI K7T TURBO2 (6330-250) KT133A 200/266MHz FSB.

When I run Fuzzy Logic 4 which looks at the settings in my processor, its listed at a FSB of 100 MHz with a multiplier of 12. What basic information am I missing? Is the 200 MHz FSB a "virtual" setting or something?

Is there something in the BIOS I need to set?

Thanks for any information.

"Live long and Overclock the bejesus out of your system."
- Spock (really :D)

Unless you have DDR your memory will not run at 200mhz. Looks like in your sig you are using SDRAM, so what ever your FSB is set at, thats the speed that your memory is running at.

Yeah, I'm running SDR. The listed FSB is 100MHz which I thought was all you could do on SDR, but the mobo says it can do 200MHz FSB and ONLY has slots for SDRAM.

How can it say it can do 200/266MHz FSB with SDR?

SDRAM can't go that high. Maybe 160-170 if you are very lucky. It's possible that your board lets you run the FSB seperate from the memory. I double checked, and that board can only run SDRAM so DDR is not an option.

I'm going to send MSI an e-mail on this one. I'll post their reply.

this is normal, as Penguin4x4 has explained, the motherboard uses dual pipe lines so the FSB speed is theroeticly doubled - the speed stated at 200/ 266 MHz is more for marketing then performance - all motherboards (SDR and DDr) are written as 200/266MHz, it sells better.

for example a old p3 has a fsb of 100MHz, and one pipe line, giving a total speed of 100MHz,
a duron has a FSB speed of 100MHz, but two pipleines, giving it a top theoretical speed of 200MHz,
a p4 as four piplines and a FSB of 133MHz, giving it a theoretical speed of 533MHz.

So, even in a DDR mobo, the BIOS will say the FSB is 100MHz for a Duron?

correct....but it is really 100 (x2) = 200Mhz OR 133 (x2) = 266Mhz but this is all provided you have DDR

Spec

cack01 said:
SDRAM can't go that high. Maybe 160-170 if you are very lucky. It's possible that your board lets you run the FSB seperate from the memory. I double checked, and that board can only run SDRAM so DDR is not an option.

so a MB that use SDRAM, such as mine, the fsb can only be set at 133?

Please bear with me. I am trying to learn this stuff because obviously I don't know squat about it. [Oh yeah, I know I'm opening myself up on this one]

The Overclocker has nicely pointed out that the motherboard is listed as 200/266 FSB because it sells better (thanks:)). That was the point that was causing the confusion on my part originally. I was told that DDR was what doubles the FSB, yet the mobo was listed as 200/266 and can only use SDR. Dubious business practice, but not entirely harmful. Its still way better than my PIII system.

Thanks guys for all of your information.

...they just say the best that the mobo can be...in this case DDR which makes the FSB 200/266Mhz ;)

Spec

Back