• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It appears unlocking the CPU on the tbred rev B is done via bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

blatenetly ripped from hardocp
Asus Picks AXP:
Last week (or week before) you might remember that we reported on unlocking the new AthlonXP 2600+ while running it on the ASUS A7V8X (VIA KT400 Chipset) mainboard. Well upon returning home I found that ASUS had supplied the new BIOS they promised and it does work much better than our previous versions.

This new BIOS, which is still BETA, will allow you to set the multiplier to pretty much anything you want. Our chip has the L1 bridges closed with a picture here of the rest of them. With the last L3 bridge shorted, the system would not make it past POST so we removed the conductive trace and we are back in business. I am currently running at 11.5 x 183MHz. The downside is that now we cannot soft-reboot the board; we must physically power all the way down.

well it looks like the kt400 may actually have a good use afterall

KT400 is a waist of technology man. They should have at least implemented Hypertransport or Twin Bank memory architecture at least.

The difference in performance between the KT333 and KT400 is VERY small (3%).

DS-Master

Emericana said:
blatenetly ripped from hardocp
This new BIOS, which is still BETA, will allow you to set the multiplier to pretty much anything you want. Our chip has the L1 bridges closed with a picture here of the rest of them. With the last L3 bridge shorted, the system would not make it past POST so we removed the conductive trace and we are back in business. I am currently running at 11.5 x 183MHz.

Great news that some mobo/s are finally fixing what ails them re this issue...but we wouldn't say "It appears unlocking the CPU on the tbred rev B is done via bios", rather it seems that this mobo has done something to eliminate "its" need to mod the 5th L3 Multiplier bridge. If the L1 bridges were opened the default Multiplier would still be locked regardless of what the bios did.

Just clarifying the wording...thanks for the good news again.
John C.

Back