• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/s temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chimera

Now I don't own no new computer It's quite old buy most standard , But I bought it used and I'm happy with it for the most part , right now it involves intel 266 o/c to 300 in an atrend MB with 128 ram , a few hard drives atx midtower case3 fans , intel heat sink and fan ,
I upgraded from 9se to win2000 with no problems ,
But I noticed A temp differance at the processor ,
I thought nothing about it ,
untill I went back to 98 for some reason I can't remember that lasted a few hours , (talk about being bored or what )
now I have tested this a few times now running a daul boot , and have found time after time a ten degree differance , I was told if I thought this was true and not a fluke to post this here ,
I know windows 2000 is a better O/S but I wasn't expecting a temp differance at all ,
has anyone else noticed a differance ?

I have not seen it documented conclusively, but there is a definite tie to which O/S you are running and the performance of halt-on-idle software, which has a great effect on CPU temps. There is also a tie in to whether you have ACPI enabled in the O/S, but again, I have not read an acceptible explanation, just vague references.

Hoot

Back