• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Donnager, main rig upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The option to perform a clean installation in Nvidia drivers should work too. At least, it always works for me. In short, it removes all Nvidia drivers, restarts the PC, and installs a new driver before a graphics driver is loaded (other than standard). There can still be a problem with the PCIe driver, which is a separate thing.

Weird. I thought all a clean install did was not carry over settings. It's how I always roll as there's only one change I make in Nv settings typically (AF to highest quality).

Weird. I thought all a clean install did was not carry over settings. It's how I always roll as there's only one change I make in Nv settings typically (AF to highest quality).

I'm not sure if it's acting the same on every driver package or OS version. When I run it, I usually get a black screen, then or lower display resolution and a question box to restart the PC, or it just reinstalls the driver and works.
Either way, I've never needed to use any 3rd party driver uninstallers/cleaners.

I'm not sure if it's acting the same on every driver package or OS version.
That would just be weird... acting different in different drive packages...

That's odd. I just updated to the latest yesterday with the clean option... no reboot. But I do get the black screen (when it unloads and reloads the driver).

I'm not convinced it does anything except for wipe your settings. Let me reach out to some people and see what they say about it. :)

That would just be weird... acting different in different drive packages...

There may be a difference as I don't think there is a reboot if you don't do a clean installation. There is a black screen, then lower res, then it's 'normal' again.

Maybe it depends if any file is in use or locked by the system for some reason. I'm not sure, but it sometimes asks for a restart when I mark the clean installation option.

I edited the hell out of my post before you posted, sorry...

EDIT: Worth noting... I NEVER install GFE nor audio drivers. It's always just the video driver and PhysX so maybe that's why it's different for me. Perhaps it's one of those that when updating causes the reboot request? No idea.

I think so. But there's logins for everything these days so it all seems to run together.

Hell I don't even like how I can't install Win11 without being connected to the internet.

I tried the driver purge and reinstall to no avail.

I have now drained the loop and disassembled the GPU to the bare board again completely. I did find some additional residue that could have been coolant, so the entire board has been thoroughly cleaned with 99% isopropyl and sun dried. I also took apart the Heatkiller block to rid the guts of the debris that came out of the radiator.

In the future, a couple quick disconnects are a tempting proposition so that I don't have to drain the loop to get the GPU out. That way I could change it out and leave the loop functional for GPU swaps.

Man, this project has had its fair share of hiccups. But once it's done, it should be really good.

It's taken me all day, but the job is complete. Still flushing bubbles out, but the system now runs and I'm punishing the GPU with Heaven at near 400W and she's purring like a kitten. 80F in the house and water temps at 38C. Incredible cooling efficiency. I freakin' love thick 480mm radiators. I think my fan curves are a tad aggressive for daily use at they're at 1500-1700rpm at this load. It would be nice for them to max out at 1200rpm under game loads.

GPU clocks were solid at 1740MHz (if I'm looking at the right reading, I still have to install Afterburner). Basically it's sitting at it's max boost. Going to be fun pushing it a bit further and see if I can bust some PR's in 3DMark.

Now I'm being real mean to it to test it: R23 and Heaven simultaneously. Total of near 700W on the cooling system. Fans up to 2000rpm and the water temps are 40C. GPU temp 50C :attn:

Since it's named after a Martian battleship, in the words of a famous pilot in the series, "here comes the juice"!

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    778.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I tried the driver purge and reinstall to no avail.

I have now drained the loop and disassembled the GPU to the bare board again completely. I did find some additional residue that could have been coolant, so the entire board has been thoroughly cleaned with 99% isopropyl and sun dried. I also took apart the Heatkiller block to rid the guts of the debris that came out of the radiator.

In the future, a couple quick disconnects are a tempting proposition so that I don't have to drain the loop to get the GPU out. That way I could change it out and leave the loop functional for GPU swaps.

Man, this project has had its fair share of hiccups. But once it's done, it should be really good.
Do you think the main issue was clogged fins in the block or something else?

Back