• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some case cutting ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereosteve99

I'm going to be modding my case with a clear window, but I'm not sure what I want to have. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

I want something kind of original.

I was thinking of having something music related(not bands or anything). So it has something to do with my name.

I was thinking of having a cool jl audio design and then etching in the >>Ahead of the Curve .

Link

Just need some help.

I just had a really awesome idea!! I'm an airplane nutt, and love the air force, so I was thinking of doing the new airforce logo.

you know the one I'm talking about, I can't find a descent one to post on here, but if guys find one, please let me know..

Anyway, I could etch the insides of the design, and cut out the outline. it would be sweet.

stereosteve99 said:
I just had a really awesome idea!! I'm an airplane nutt, and love the air force, so I was thinking of doing the new airforce logo.

you know the one I'm talking about, I can't find a descent one to post on here, but if guys find one, please let me know..

Anyway, I could etch the insides of the design, and cut out the outline. it would be sweet.

like this?.....

Well what ive learned from my first AND second window mods is that cutting a side pannel is considerably more difficult that i thought. So my advice to you is "Keep It Simple" you'd be surprised how Bad @$$ even the simplest design can look when done right. also the molding (if youre gonna put molding) ups the difficulty of getting it to look right, which would be another reason to keep it simple.

"BUT" if you're planning on cutting out a simple window shape and then etching a design in to the plastic or masking off certain areas so that only some parts show through clear (Similar to how ThePunkGeek did his) the go crazy

I would also recomend tackling the pannel cutting with a Jig Saw where ever possible preferably with a blade that is 24tpi or more, because a dremmel can be a pain for cutting and takes a lot longer

But if you dont want to keep it simple, Here are some design suggestions. theyre not music related but theyre cool, kinda difficult but pretty origonal.

Good Luck :D

You are my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah,, I think that would look so tight on a case, with the insides etched in the plexiglass.

Awesome.

Here's my idea, for one sweet case.

I want to paint the whole case in red, white, and blue.

On the side panel where the cut-out will be I want to paint on the American flag, then the cut-out of the Air Force symbol in the middle.

I know this would be very complex, but I think I could invest the time, I just need to get the right stencil for the case, or make my own.

Would it be possible to wet sand, after painting it with the three colors, or will it smeer, because I want to get a very nice mirror-like shine??

Now tell me that isn't one sweet idea!

9/11 -We will always remeber!

just a quick note i would cut the design before painting you wouldnt want to mess up a sweet paint job with a jigsaw :D

i'm sure you would have thought of that but, youve got me interested now and i want to see the finished product in all its glory. :D

also if youre gonna do a design thats intricate like that you might want to look in to getting it professionally cut. since the edges would be super clean compared to a jigsaw you could completely avoid molding issues.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121224

check the links and see what im talking about.

I really don't think that the outline would be all that hard, there are no curves, just straight edges. You don't think a dremel would do the job??

How much would getting one of these cut cost?? I don't even have the slightest clue where I would take it either.

if your good with a dremel then i think you could do it.

it would probably cost a pretty penny to get it done by a pro.

and theres a certain amount of satisfaction when you do it yourself, if youre clean with a dremel then go for it. I would ask around to find out what type of dremel bit would be the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other option, which is considerably easier, is to paint the whole thing a dark blue, make it shinier than heck, with the airforce cut-out on the side. I was thinking of spraying a smaller version of the Airforce logo on the bottom lower part, where the fans are.

Last edited:
hehe i thought that would look cool! awesome d00d i really want to see this case when its done as well! maybe you could get the airforce emblem there turned into a bubbled case badge or something. that would look pretty shweet.:D

Back