• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volcano 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mojo

Registered
has anyone tried the thermoengine volcano 2? stable when using a 1.2ghz t.bird???

Mojo (Apr 12, 2001 09:58 a.m.):
has anyone tried the thermoengine volcano 2? stable when using a 1.2ghz t.bird???

Don't you mean ThermalTake? I think you do, but I'm not sure. If you mean Thermaltake, then yeah, I've used one. Its not a very good hsf for anything over say, 900 Mhz. When it was on my 1000 @ 1200, my idle temp was 50, load went up to 60 sometimes. I replaced that w/ a GW FOP38, and got an instant reduction in heat. I'm now 44c idle, 48 load. I'm happy :)

I would suggest avoiding this particular hsf, unless you plan on putting a Delta on it. Even then, it dosn't give enough performance I think. There's a good article on this particular hsf on the Overclockers.com web site, under Heatsink reviews and tips, but I'm too God damned lazy to look up the url for you :)

Oni (Apr 13, 2001 12:33 a.m.):
Mojo (Apr 12, 2001 09:58 a.m.):

Don't you mean ThermalTake? I think you do, but I'm not sure. If you mean Thermaltake, then yeah, I've used one. Its not a very good hsf for anything over say, 900 Mhz. When it was on my 1000 @ 1200, my idle temp was 50, load went up to 60 sometimes. I replaced that w/ a GW FOP38, and got an instant reduction in heat. I'm now 44c idle, 48 load. I'm happy :)

I would suggest avoiding this particular hsf, unless you plan on putting a Delta on it. Even then, it dosn't give enough performance I think. There's a good article on this particular hsf on the Overclockers.com web site, under Heatsink reviews and tips, but I'm too God damned lazy to look up the url for you :)

The heat sink article written by Joe the other day shows that the Volcano II performs decently with a Delta fan.

Oni,
That's one heck of a temp reduction! Did the switch allow you to OC more? I have a Volcano II now, and the fastest I've gotten into Windows with a D750 is @ 9.5 X 103 and I got a lockup as soon as I got my wallpaper. I kicked it back down to 900 and it works fine, but I'd like to get that gig if at all possible. I'm thinking of going Vantec actually. They have one like the FOP38, but with a better clipping system. Either way it's gonna be loud, but a better OC would be worth it. As for the FOP, how difficult is it to remove the HSF? Just wondering.

K-Lined4Lyf

Back