• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the volcano 9 my best bet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hduong

I'm in need of a new heat sink cause
1. My current H/S cover's one of my only 2 ddr slots.
2. I current H/S is not doing the a good enough job cooling my xp1600+

My current h/s is a ocz gladiator with a 26cfm fan. Now I could put a delta on there but theat would make the noise unbearable. That why I replaced it.

Now, will will a volcano 9 do a adaquate job running about 3/4 full speed? Only clocking 1400@1500. Seem stable with the current h/s. the ax-7 and volcano 7+ cost too much. I don't trust the single clip of the 7+ either.

Here is the list of cooler's I could get keeping in mind I hate load fans.

http://www.firestorm.ab.ca/products/acoolc.htm

Cnd prices BTW.

Thanks

hmm firestorm! I'm more of a big yellow guy myself. Hello fellow calgarian! the volcano 9 will suffice for your needs, having ripped the smartfan2 off my volcano 9 and placed it on the slk-800 I noticed that the smartfan does a good job at 3/4 speed and performs decently to about 3500rpm, anything less and your temps will skyrocket! the fan is pretty darn quiet even at full rpm when compared to the vantec tornado.

hduong said:
Now, will will a volcano 9 do a adaquate job running about 3/4 full speed? Only clocking 1400@1500. Seem stable with the current h/s. the ax-7 and volcano 7+ cost too much. I don't trust the single clip of the 7+ either.
the V7+ uses the 3 clips not the 1... and it will work better then the V9 and only cost 1 dollar more...
best byte computers sells the V9 for $28 and the V7+ for $29...

I've seen the V9 as low as 22 bucks but the seller gets very poor ratings on www.resellerrating.com I would go with a reseller of 7 and higher.
best byte gets over 8 ;) Ive use them alot in the past.

AZN

Last edited:
True AZN but I've heard the fan on the 7+ is loud and kinda sucks, the fan on the volcano 9 is enough to justify it's purchase.

no it is adjustable from 3500-6600rpm... and works very good. the smartfan were POS cuzz the poor senors... the new V9 has a probe that u can put anywhere, so im sure it would work better. but if u put it near the core and always get a high reading then it will run HIGH rpms and be almost as loud as the V7+ at full speed... Do what u will, but i would go with the V7+ cuzz its solid copper, has adjustable fan controls, and about the same price.

anothing thing about the smart fan.... y buy it if your going to mod it to run full speed anyways? kinda defeats the purpose of a heat senor fan. I have the fan, took out that stupid senor too:rolleyes: If u want a fan running around 5k rpm and about 50cfm just get a delta ;)

AZN

12am, I'm more of a Yellow store guy myself too after the management change. But for cheap stuff and accessories I go firestorm cause it's close to me.

AZN, I'm assuming that site is from the states right? I Hate ordering from the state because of all the hidden taxes and brokerage fee that get added on. Stupid government. But the price on that volcano 7+ is verygood. Come's out to less then $50cnd. But when you add in shipping and all the extra fee's, it'll be more expensive then what I can get it here.

Think I pick a volcano 9 up.

I found the mini rheo option on the smarfan 2 just too irresistable to give up though! it's nice to have manual control over the fan so I can set it to a desired dBa when I'm not in the mood to hear my hs/fan

My opinion on the V9 cooler... it is the exact same thing as the V7 but they found out the stupid senor was in a poor spot and the fan hardly ever kicked into high gear, so they just added the probe that u can mount anywhere. O and dont forget the new color :rolleyes: other then that i see no difference between the to models... and any1 else see that much of an improvement??? I can get the V7 for half the price of a V9...
BTW what happend to V8??? did they think V9 sounded cooler? lol

AZN

hduong said:
12am, I'm more of a Yellow store guy myself too after the management change. But for cheap stuff and accessories I go firestorm cause it's close to me.

AZN, I'm assuming that site is from the states right? I Hate ordering from the state because of all the hidden taxes and brokerage fee that get added on. Stupid government. But the price on that volcano 7+ is verygood. Come's out to less then $50cnd. But when you add in shipping and all the extra fee's, it'll be more expensive then what I can get it here.

Think I pick a volcano 9 up.
its not a goverment operated store... i use them alot their good;)

AZN

don't know why they skipped 8 seems strange to me also. There is just too much clutter in the lower end of the heatsink market! that's why I just save my money and go with the big boys! Hduong I feel your pain about shipping from the states, I ordered my slk-800 and vantec tornado out of the states and it cost me 150 dollars! but I don't regret my purchase :)

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

they tell u to put the probe on the back side of the chip :rolleyes:
can some1 tell me how this is possible? isnt the pins going to get in the way when u insert the chip?
kinda sill if u ask me... what where they thinking... i guess the chip taped next to the core under the HS would work right?

The jumpers.... u can do the same thing to the V7 with crimpers

AZN

I don't want to spend more then $40cnd and also needed a quite fan. The volcano 9 look like a good fit. Volcano 9 has gotton decent review on a bunch of websites but wanted to make sure it would be adaquate for my needs. The volcano 7+ is just too expensive for me. Remember I'm not into heavy o/c'ing. 1400@1500 or maybe 1545 if temps are good. Thanks
later

if u have money to spend and need a powerful air cooling solution go with an slk800 and a 100cfm 80mm fan :D

if u really want to save money, get the V7 and mod it to run full speed... it will be the same thing as teh V9.
the material is the exact same... dont let the stupid colors fool u...

AZN

AZN said:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

they tell u to put the probe on the back side of the chip :rolleyes:
can some1 tell me how this is possible? isnt the pins going to get in the way when u insert the chip?
kinda sill if u ask me... what where they thinking... i guess the chip taped next to the core under the HS would work right?

The jumpers.... u can do the same thing to the V7 with crimpers

AZN

they do tell you to put it on the underside of the cpu and they made the temp probe wires so thin that it goes inbetween the pins on the cpu and doesn't disrupt anything quite ingenious of them on that part.

12am said:

they do tell you to put it on the underside of the cpu and they made the temp probe wires so thin that it goes inbetween the pins on the cpu and doesn't disrupt anything quite ingenious of them on that part.
bsflag.gif

I was thinking that till i forgot it was for socket A... I was thinking of the v7+ that works with 478pins lol...
The finger is covering the wires so i cant see how thin they are... the socket 462 has alot of space between the pins so i guess it works... but wouldnt that make it run full speed most the time? full speed is 55c isnt it? if so i guess if the core is around 40-50c its lower speed right?
I still think adding a probe, jumpers, and a new coat of color doesnt justify charging double the V7...

AZN

your probably right about the justification part, but I don't use the temp sensor option as I found it a pain in the rear to install because my probe was too long and it wouldn't fit, I find the mini rheostat they give you the best option for controlling the fan, it is a pretty responsive rheo from what I've tested with a steady hand you can adjust in 200rpm increments.

dont get me wrong.. i like TT stuff... the V6cu i get like 6 bucks and work very good... the v7 i can like 15 and again a nice cooler but the senor sucked so i took it out and its running full speed. They make a ton of models but this V9 has got to be the the most overpriced model they offer.
be honest... do u really use the speed controls????

AZN

actually I do, some days my hearing is a little sensitive to high pitched sounds so I throttle the fan down to 3500rpm but when my ears are "in the mood" I turn it back up to 5100rpm also when I have computer illiterate company over they can't take the noise so I have to turn it down.

Back