• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lugie

Registered
I just have some weird/maybe stupid ideas to bring up.

Would it work well to build a box out of wood or something, put an air tight door on it (like in freezer sections at stores...), then stick one of those window air conditioning units out the back to cool my system?

And, what if you put a computer in a vaccum? Like, with no air whatsoever? Will it overheat, or not work, or what?EDIT: (just found my answer, nevermind...)

If anybody has ever tried the first, or already knows what may happen in the second instance (I doubt anybody has really ever tried this on their own), let me know!

you have some out-of-the-box ideas there... (you need to learn to title your threads so that people pay attension though..)

Building a box out of wood is fine, however, wood tends to retain heat. so you would be trapping in the heat. (aluminum cases tend to radiate the heat, so as the aluminum heats up, it tends to give off heat really well on the other side)

If you stick an air conditioner in there, you need a place for the air to go (the window-type only blow air in, and don't let it out, an air-tight box = no good) You also have to worry about condensation, if it gets too cold in there, the water vapour will condensate.

There are lots of problems with putting it in a vacuum. I bet if you took a look around NASA's site, you could find some theoretical computing articles that discuss the problems with this. (chips contain air, no air for heat to transfer to (esp. if air cooling), etc.)

For ideas, one idea I had was to take a hose from my pool, and watercool my computer with my pool's water.. it would also provide heating for the pool :).. the problems are: the hoses/processor block may clog up with organic material/pool chemicals, no way to control pool's temperature (too hot = not cooling enough, too cold = condensation), which all depends on the weather. And a minor problem: if the hoses ever broke, the water would corrode.

well, to me atleast (Honors Highschool Physics), it's a simple physics problem. What is nothing + heat + heat + heat + heat ... ?

The heat will have nowhere to go.. there is nothing in a vacuum to transfer the heat from the processor to. There is no air in there to cool it... every component in there that creates heat will just heat up and eventually everything will glow a nice red, and probably evaporate :eek::eek::eek: (yes, your computer will evaporate)

You have to remember that "cold" is only "lack of heat". You cool a processor by transferring heat off the processor, thus making it less hot.

Back