• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with insulateing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billyzbear

I'm new to water cooling. I stuck a trash case inside a mini fridge and put the cold plate in it. I then pumped the water to my cpu. I put silicone all around the socket. I glued closed cell foam to the water block enough to where it became flush with the motherboard. I filled the inside socket with silicone and put foam on top of that. The back also got silicone and foam and dielectric grease in the socket for cpu. It worked for all of 5-10 min. and then stopped. No post nothing. I pulled it all apart and found on top of the cpu was a little damp. This is with my back up 1.0 t-bird and ecs board. The water is about 20f. What did I not do correctly? Is there a better way? I don't want to give up but I don't want to toast my good rig.
Billy

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

That condensation prevention method sounds alright. But this cold plate immersed in cold water idea has a problem.

The warm water coming from the water block on the CPU will pass through the water block inside the fridge very quickly. Too quickly to transfer a good deal of it's heat, I imagine. A better design would be to have a radiator and fan inside the fridge, or the container of water with the pump inside it, circulating cold water from the container, to the CPU, then back to sit in the container for a while to be chilled again.

No POST, but do you get pre-POST beep codes?

Also, did you follow a procedure close to this when you condensation proofed? It sounds like you did, but I'm just making sure I read you right.

I know it didn't overheat I was in the bios and the temps where 23c. That's under the cpu and some of the insolation I but there. The trash can has 10 gals of water and anti freeze 33% mix. I rebooted then nothing. It could have been the board. I'll put the t-bird in my other rig and see if it'll post. what does concern me is the dampness that I found on top of the cpu. Could it have caused a problem? Should I take nail pollish and coat the top except the core? or maybe silicone? How about useing that faom insolateing stuff and cover the hole block and part of the motherboard? Any other ideas?
Billy

Well, first of all, did the PC speaker give you any POST beep codes? Decoding those will tell you quite a bit.

Check the CPU in another board like you said. Now it's pretty obvious that overheating wasn't the problem either. That dampness on top of the CPU is strange. It probably was the cause of the problem because the thunderbird's signal conditioning capacitors (the square things) are on top of the CPU surrounding the core. Water on them would've changed their electrical properties a bunch, just like arctic silver will. Hold off putting anything permanent on top of the CPU package and instead determine whether or not the CPU is actually bad. Then isolate the source of the water. If you're going to coat the CPU package use something like dielectric grease. It's not permanent but it'll still be a pain to get out of the porous ceramic.

What type of water block are you using on the CPU? It could be condensation or much less likely, a WB leak. How much below case temp is the CPU temp? If it's not so far, condensation won't be as big of a problem.

The water block is a maze 3. Ice will form on the bottom of the water block. I tested it before I put it on. No leaks. There was no beeps nothing. Dielectic greese wouldn't that be as bad as water? It would conduct electricity just like water.
case temps are around 75f and the water is around 20f.
Billy

No beeps but the drives and fans spin? Sounds like the motherboard is dead. If it was the CPU you'd be hearing some beep codes.

These cooling questions are secondary for now. It sounds like the mobo is broken. :(

Back