• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any one Know how to make an LCD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreadlord79

...from a laptop, compatiable with a 15-pin VGA or even a S-video cable? My old laptop finally died on me and I am thinking about converting this screen over so my cousin can have duel screens for his system. I need to figure out how to change the "ribbon" cable over to on of the above mentioned if at all possible. I have looked around and remember seeing this done before but can't remember where I saw it.

If anyone knows, I would greatly apprecate any links or help they might be able to proved. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help! :D

Essentially what I have found through 6months of research on the topic...

It's both ridiculously hard to find a compatible controller and it's extremely espensive even if you do. It's not worth the cost since you can buy a decent quality LCD monitor for a comparable sum of money.

If you're still interested you can expect to shell out $250-$300 on a controller at EarthLCD.com

The reason I want to do this is because I am thinking about building my own PC/104 system based on a 1Ghz P!!!, 512MB of PC-133 and a 2.5" 40GB H.D.D. and wanted to include the screen from my old laptop with a touch screen conversion kit. I talked with my cousin and he doesn't have the cash for this "little" endevor. If I could get this to work, the screen would be the perfect size to cover and house the components I am looking at and would still give me quite a bit of 800x600 screen instead of a 5" screen. Sorry I didn't explain myself better but I have been off the board for awhile and am just now getting back into it.

Back