• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new AMD system, need input please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Hi, didn't know where to slap this exactly.. so I thought i'd just shove it in here. :D

Okay, well, Intel has dissapointed me yet again, anyhow....

I was on NewEgg.com piecing parts together and this is what I came up with, let me know what you think:

EPoX 8k3a+
AMD XP 1600+
1 stick of 512mb Corsair XMS pc2700
Thermalright AX-7 w/Vantec Tornado (80mm 84cfm)

I currently have:

MSI 645 Ultra
P4 1.8a
1 stick of 256mb Crucial pc2100
Retail Intel HSF

Does anyone know what stepping(s) of the 1600+ NewEgg.com is shipping? I heard they were mainly sending out AGOIA? Another question: Do you think this would be on par/deminish/increase performance (factor in this [email protected] and whatever you think the 1600+ would average)? What would you do? I got about $500ish to blow on a new AMD mobo/cpu/ram/HSF.

When I went to Intel, I told people I would more than likely come back to the light... and it seems my prophecy shall fullfill itself :D

dont get the 8k3a you will run into nothing but probs. get the abit kx7-333.... as for the voltages on the board even though it says 1.85v it is really 1.9v cause this board really overvolts a lot.

i doubt you will be able to notice any difference in the cpus but if you oc it which you obviously are gonna do, you will be able to get better benches with a amd at 1.8ghz than a intel at 2.25.

As for the ram try for some ddr 3200 or 3000 if you need to watch the price.

corsair generally makes good stuff

only thing i would change is to a 8K5A2+ it has more options,usb2.0,lan,sound,raid.the usb is the big part.anyhow its $4 cheaper at newegg also.

and get the 3200 xms not much more $ but itll come in handy when u start hitten high fsb's!

good luck looks like a screamer!

Well, I like Epox mobos:)
XP1600s are the top bang for the buck chip IF you get a decent one, IMO.
And the AX7/Tornado combo just rocks :D:D

Unfortunately, I don't know what steppings are coming out of Newegg right now :rolleyes: but there have been a couple threads I've seen that mention other vendors with agoia y chips, hit the search button;)

For $50 or so for the chip, you can hardly go wrong: even at defaults those chips are not weaklings; and you have a mobo that can still be upgraded to a TBred

googlegear is spitting out AGOIA 0213 Y's, pretty much one of the best in its class for now.

i ordered mine on wednesday, came today.

Emericana said:
dont get the 8k3a you will run into nothing but probs. get the abit kx7-333.... as for the voltages on the board even though it says 1.85v it is really 1.9v cause this board really overvolts a lot.

i doubt you will be able to notice any difference in the cpus but if you oc it which you obviously are gonna do, you will be able to get better benches with a amd at 1.8ghz than a intel at 2.25.

where did you get that the 8k3a's suck? i have had ZERO problems with mine...and seeing as how i can get my chip to over 1.85 ghz at stock voltage...it must be doing something right. the 5:1 dividers work great, onboard sound is good, and overclocking options are a dream.... i dont see why people bash epox boards...i do have to ask...not to be an *** or anything, but have you owned an 8k3a/+ (the 8k3a+ is what you should buy if you want this model, but i would recommend the 8k5a3+ or the 8k5a2+ simply because of the newer southbridge, onboard lan, and onboard usb 2.0...and they are around the same price as the 8k3a+. epox boards are a great way to go...they are not expensive too...

get pc3200 xms cas 2...it will overclock quite a bit more than the pc2700..get the sunon 84 cfm fan...it was like $5 less at the place i got it from ( www.sidewindercomputers.com )...and they are the EXACT same fan, with different stickers, but i think the vantec only comes with a 3 pin connection, the sunon has both...a separate fan monitor for motherboard, and the 4 pin for power..which helps, instead of having to cut/strip wires and such

I too am planning on building a system... planning on getting everything morbid was originally planning to get except with abit kx7-333r ($61 refurb) or epox 8k3a+ ($75 refurb) and 512 stick of pc3200 xms cas2
(very pricy =[ ) Is this a good setup? Is there really a big difference between mobos, because 20 people say this one is good and 19 say that one is good...

id really recommend getting the 8k5a2+ or the 8k5a3+ i hear the 8k5a2+ is cheaper on newegg than the 8k3a+.....so you might just wanna get the new revision, and spend a few $$ more...since you will be getting a brand new motherboard, and not a refurbished one...and that ram is excellent

Ill consider getting epox. Heh at least i know everything else im gonna get. Wheres a cheap place to by the pc3200 xms?

Emericana said:

don't talk about something you never used. i have had ZERO probs....heck, i even painted the mobo and it still works! ;)

if i were you morbid, i too would wait a bit for the new stuff to come out like TBRED b's at the least. then the stuff you want
should drop in price! 1600+ tbreds should be out soon as well.

metra said:
Ill consider getting epox. Heh at least i know everything else im gonna get. Wheres a cheap place to by the pc3200 xms?

There is no such thing as a cheap place to get Corsair RAM. Kinda like asking for a cheap place to get a Ferrari ;)
Neweggs price are very decent. I strongly suggest you dish out the extra bucks to make sure your RAM doesnt hold back your OC.

Thanks for the input everyone, i'm getting a good sense on what to go with here. Does anyone know an approximate date these T-Bred "B" chips are suppose to come out? Are they running 166FSB or something? I suppose I could hold out until these come out, i'm not in dier need or anything... this P4 does what I need it to do (even if it takes a century to do it). Thanks again, guys/gals! :)

[EDIT] What about an SLK-800? I read some reviews saying it was better than the AX-7? [/EDIT]

Last edited:
the tbred b's will still be 133 chips..the bartons are 166 fsb though. the new tbreds come out oct. 1.....

when you say better, the 1 or 2 C difference in the temps on the slk-800...is that really worth paying nearly twice as much? go with the ax-7

***REVISED***

Well, everything's been set into motion, let me know what you guys think about my final choice.

EPoX 8K5a3+
Unlocked AMD XP 2000+ AGOIA Y (Greenie)
Thermalright AX-7 w/Vantec Tornado 80mm 84cfm and AS3 (of course)
512mb stick of Corsair XMS 3200 CL2

This is to replace my P4 setup I have now (posted above). So, what do you guys think? I hope it treats me well :)

Keep your eyes out on that classifieds section for this P4 setup ;)

Fever said:
Get some ear plugs to go with that HS's fan. ;) :p

Can't be any louder than it already is, I suppose. Got a 120mm sucking 150ish cfm through the front plastic grill of an Antec SX1035B, the metal grill was removed (including the HDD cages). I modified it for my radiator to fit there without a problem and it did fine until my pump died. My single HDD sits up in the 5 1/4 bay in a HDD cooler, minus the cooling gear. Soon to be a 2nd one up there.

Aside from that 120mm sucking air through a plastic grate, I have 2 case fans, my stock HSF from Intel and the little noise devil on my GF3Ti200 (I love it though, lets me do 250/560 stable as a rock, maybe further). If you heard mine right now, it sounds like someone is vacuuming in my closet, i'm sure the HSF I picked out will be a great addition to it :D

ok, I babbled on long enough about non-sense, now it's time to crash.

Comments? Call 1-80.... j/k

I thought some of the later models of the B core were to be at 166? Has it been confirmed that all B cores will be at 133 and the change will only occur when the barton is launched next year?

Back