• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You, once, saw the machine trying to POST, correct? So we know the video card works, right? None of the lights on the board say say VGA, correct? Feels like a seating/shorting issue to me?

Bruce, are you able to access the BIOS at all? Can you please answer that (and all questions asked...the first time, lol)? So as soon as your keyboard lights up (num/caps lock etc) spam the del key to see if you can get in.

Also, if you just leave it sit, it repeatedly loops between the RAM and CPU light, and doesn't do anything else even after a couple of minutes?

I really hate to say it with all your hard tubing, but, at this point, I would breadboard it. Take everything down, build mobo/ram/cpu/psu/gpu on the mobo box and see if it POSTs. In the future, do that FIRST, to confirm everything works, before building the system complete with hard tubing for your first power on.

EDIT: Did you try both EPS connectors???

Last edited:
I’m more of a ASUS fan but do have a MSI z390/490 :) If this was a older asus mb the lights are turned on as the components are checked. IE.. You get the 1st light - CPU -> Checked good. Then the 2nd light -Memory -> FAILED.. The BIOS then recycles back through the setup again. With this continuous failure on recognizing the memory, I believe it‘s a memory problem.
^ This could be as simple as I don’t like mem sticks in slots 1 & 3 BUT in slots 2 & 4, You have a BAD mem stick or sticks, To the more severe -> Like the IMC/MB does not like the memory’s speed, timings, ect, ect,

I’m on a tablet so I can’t cut and paste easily BUT - BUT From you previous comment that you also had another MSI z690 ( Lower End ) is Your answer. The other MB used the fan to show you that it was also stuck in a Boot Loop ( Unable to properly post and just keeps starting over ) just like this one is doing. TWO (2) MB’s with the same problem with trying to get the memory to work = BAD Memory straight up. I would RMA the sticks for another set. <- I do not know DDR5 BUT DDR4 will still run 1 stick out of the 2 installed if 1 is bad.

I hope I have helped in this problem :)

This is what I understand from this thread:
- graphics card is fine, tested on IGP with the same result
- no problem with the PSU or other devices (USB or anything else that could cause short)
- no info about the CPU or socket - bent pins or a problem with contact? worth checking
- the same results with RAM in each memory slot, it's hard to believe that all memory sticks would be faulty, it may not start in 1/3 slots counting from the CPU side

Maybe I missed something but it looks like a CPU socket issue or another motherboard issue. The motherboard is trying to start a device but fails and restarts the cycle.
What happens when you run it without RAM at all? If it cycles in the same way then it's not RAM. RAM issues usually stop the cycle and just show on a LED there is a RAM error. The same, it stops on RAM error when there is no RAM in slots.

You, once, saw the machine trying to POST, correct? So we know the video card works, right? None of the lights on the board say say VGA, correct? Feels like a seating/shorting issue to me?

Bruce, are you able to access the BIOS at all? Can you please answer that (and all questions asked...the first time, lol)? So as soon as your keyboard lights up (num/caps lock etc) spam the del key to see if you can get in.

Also, if you just leave it sit, it repeatedly loops between the RAM and CPU light, and doesn't do anything else even after a couple of minutes?

I really hate to say it with all your hard tubing, but, at this point, I would breadboard it. Take everything down, build mobo/ram/cpu/psu/gpu on the mobo box and see if it POSTs. In the future, do that FIRST, to confirm everything works, before building the system complete with hard tubing for your first power on.

EDIT: Did you try both EPS connectors???
You, once, saw the machine trying to POST, correct? Well no. Not a post but rather I saw the monitor with text appear reading like 12th CPU and the rest I can't read fast enough to explain it.

No. I can not access the bio as the system is not post. I did not see any lights up on key board

The red and yellow led keep bouncing back forth as the video show.

I really hate to say it with all your hard tubing, but, at this point, I would breadboard it. Take everything down, build mobo/ram/cpu/psu/gpu on the mobo box and see if it POSTs.

I have no choice but to tear it down and will try as you are suggested. I will report back here as I progress. During the week day I won't be able to do much if any due to my work schedule and family time with the little one.

In the future, do that FIRST, to confirm everything works, before building the system complete with hard tubing for your first power on. Absolutely. I never thought of that until you woke me up about test it first before assemble together . I guess I got lucky in the pass with the 3 system I had built with no issues.

Stay tune. I will update as I go. Thank you every one for your time.
Post magically merged:

This is what I understand from this thread:
- graphics card is fine, tested on IGP with the same result
- no problem with the PSU or other devices (USB or anything else that could cause short)
- no info about the CPU or socket - or a bent pinsproblem with contact? worth checking
- the same results with RAM in each memory slot, it's hard to believe that all memory sticks would be faulty, it may not start in 1/3 slots counting from the CPU side

Maybe I missed something but it looks like a CPU socket issue or another motherboard issue. The motherboard is trying to start a device but fails and restarts the cycle.
What happens when you run it without RAM at all? If it cycles in the same way then it's not RAM. RAM issues usually stop the cycle and just show on a LED there is a RAM error. The same, it stops on RAM error when there is no RAM in slots.
I alway check for bent pin before I insert the CPU. No issue there.

What happens when you run it without RAM at all? The led light up solid yellow

problem with contact? worth checking. What do you mean? are you referring to the CPU/ socket the tiny triangle? Of course I match the triangle show on the socket to the CPU triangle same location.

Last edited:
I’m more of a ASUS fan but do have a MSI z390/490 :) If this was a older asus mb the lights are turned on as the components are checked. IE.. You get the 1st light - CPU -> Checked good. Then the 2nd light -Memory -> FAILED.. The BIOS then recycles back through the setup again. With this continuous failure on recognizing the memory, I believe it‘s a memory problem.
^ This could be as simple as I don’t like mem sticks in slots 1 & 3 BUT in slots 2 & 4, You have a BAD mem stick or sticks, To the more severe -> Like the IMC/MB does not like the memory’s speed, timings, ect, ect,

I’m on a tablet so I can’t cut and paste easily BUT - BUT From you previous comment that you also had another MSI z690 ( Lower End ) is Your answer. The other MB used the fan to show you that it was also stuck in a Boot Loop ( Unable to properly post and just keeps starting over ) just like this one is doing. TWO (2) MB’s with the same problem with trying to get the memory to work = BAD Memory straight up. I would RMA the sticks for another set. <- I do not know DDR5 BUT DDR4 will still run 1 stick out of the 2 installed if 1 is bad.

I hope I have helped in this problem :)

I used slot 2 & 4 per the manual instruction. My question is what color is generally the first led light up? red is the common color? I really think the ram is the problem because it light up in yellow.

BUT From you previous comment that you also had another MSI z690 ( Lower End ) is Your answer. The other MB used the fan to show you that it was also stuck in a Boot Loop ( Unable to properly post and just keeps starting over ) just like this one is doing. TWO (2) MB’s with the same problem with trying to get the memory to work = BAD Memory straight up. I would RMA the sticks for another set. <- I do not know DDR5 BUT DDR4 will still run 1 stick out of the 2 installed if 1 is bad.

Should I try DDR4 before I tear it down? I can pull a couple stick from my AMD 150X system to try out. Let me know guys.

Should I try DDR4 before I tear it down?
Square peg, round hole.. dude... Doesn't fit. Buy DDR5 locally. If it works, return your current kit. Or, as was said, breadboard it... perhaps it's a short somewhere?

FYI, If you simply highlight text, you can reply to it... and keep adding on things you want to answer. That's a lot easier to follow than w/e you're doing, lol!

EDIT: Your PSU... which one are you using? It doesn't have 2 EPS connectors to plug into the board (asked that earlier)

Either update the first post with ALL of your hardware or update your signature so we can see what, EXACTLY, you have.

Last edited:
Nope, different RAM. DDR4 won't work in your DDR5 board.
I kind doubted because some one here mention that is why I post the question. Oh well.
Post magically merged:

Square peg, round hole.. dude... Doesn't fit. Buy DDR5 locally. If it works, return your current kit. Or, as was said, breadboard it... perhaps it's a short somewhere?

FYI, If you simply highlight text, you can reply to it... and keep adding on things you want to answer. That's a lot easier to follow than w/e you're doing, lol!
Ok. Thanks you man. :)

EDIT: Your PSU... which one are you using? It doesn't have 2 EPS connectors to plug into the board (asked that earlier)

Either update the first post with ALL of your hardware or update your signature so we can see what, EXACTLY, you have.
PSU is same one 1300w listed on my sig. Sorry for all the confusion. I am building a 2nd desktop as I always have 2 system. AMD listed in my signature. The 2nd PC which is this one I am building. The previous desktop is a Intel 2nd gen 6 core 4930k die after how many yrs 10?. So I only able to reuse the 1300w power for this build.

Ok, so your 1.3KW Power supply has TWO EPS (4+4 pin) connectors for the CPU. Use them and see if that's it. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's free and low effort compared to what you have in front of you.... same with buying some new RAM. If return policies are OK with it, try it out and return it. But as have been alluded to by Woomack and myself, I'm not convinced of anything at this point.

Thanks for the info about your hardware. Please add ALL of the hardware that's relevant for this build in the first post, please. This way we all know exactly what you're working with. :)

Ok, so your 1.3KW Power supply has TWO EPS (4+4 pin) connectors for the CPU. Use them and see if that's it. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's free and low effort compared to what you have in front of you.... same with buying some new RAM. If return policies are OK with it, try it out and return it. But as have been alluded to by Woomack and myself, I'm not convinced of anything at this point.

Thanks for the info about your hardware. Please add ALL of the hardware that's relevant for this build in the first post, please. This way we all know exactly what you're working with. :)
I bought a set of ram install and along with the use of 2 EPS power connector to the CPU. Same results. I got a defective board. I package up and heading for a return. I bought another board same one MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 WiFi coming soon. I will keep you guys update when I get it.

Looking good. Learn a valuable advice from Earthdog as usual. Test the damn board before fully assembled. I did just that and the new board boot right into the bios. I am so happy to see the bios page. Shot down and fully assembled the system. Boot into the and set XMP Profile 1 to run the ram at full speed 6200mhz. Installing windows 10 Pro right now and upgrading to Windows 11.

Again, thank you to everyone whom trying to help. Much appreciated. :)

Attachments

• received_629347591834565.jpeg
    received_629347591834565.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 3
  • received_2558744124261954.jpeg
    received_2558744124261954.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just put 11 on there!!! You have the chance to be squeaky clean!
How do I do that? Without spending $$ to buy Windows 11. Can I install Windows 11 with my Win 10 keys? I am gonna do win 10 and restore my old image backup because I have apps on that backup I want to have it back.

Back