• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the difference between water cool and phrase charge??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
i'm new in "super cooling". did all my machines in air cool since day one. now, i'm looking into the next step of cooling. and i'm wondering what's the difference between water cool, and phrase charge? i know what they r, but performance wise, which is better?? pro/con? (i'm think a phrase charge would be better?)

since it's my first try, i'm looking for a complete kit/case solution. currently thinking:
water cool: koolance
phrase charge: vaporchill

Hey LS;)

Water Cooling: replaces the heatsink/fan with a water block- water is pumped from the block to a radiator where it is cooled, and then back to the water block. Due to water's better thermal efficiency, it is much easier to get lower cpu temps with a water-cooled pc. Water cooling also makes it easier to add water chillers(usually a small fridge or freezer used to drop the coolant temps below ambient) or Pelts.

Phase Change: uses refrigeration equipment to directly cool the cpu core. Very effective and very expensive! Turnkey Phase Change is around $500 and up I believe.....
It can be done by you as a custom Phase Change, but you have to learn how to be a Refrigeration Technician!

Koolance is just one of many water cooled cases on the market at this point: Swiftech makes one too and there are some others as well. Pre-built cases make things easy, but costly. You can also but kits you put in your own case, or pick your own components and "homebrew" a rig.

Vapochill is also not the only game in town for phase change: Prometia is around and apparently an excellent unit.

tks Doug!

i played around w/ a peltier before on my PIII. good stuffs, but heat up the case temp considerably. it'll need good airflow inside the case.

LandShark said:
tks Doug!

i played around w/ a peltier before on my PIII. good stuffs, but heat up the case temp considerably. it'll need good airflow inside the case.

That's why peltiers are usually used with water cooling: case airflow is not as much of an issue because most of the heat is moved out of the case by a radiator exhausting the air (as opposed to pulling it in.)

It is possible to use Pelts with air cooling, but that does require a lot more work on case airflow.

I like my radiator external anyway: get that heat right out of the case;)

what would you recommend? Swiftech or Koolance?? i have a feeling that Swiftech will be better performance, radiator at the back compare to koolance's on top and covered. but i don't like the case, and i really like Koolance's case (Antec or copys, and windows built in)

I'm biased:) I have the Swiftech H202c kit in a case of my own.

The kit has the same components that are used in the QPower cases: good stuff.

I think the Koolance is a better looking unit, but does not perform as well- they have a newer unit that is better than the original, but still not up to the Swifty. I think there are a few more H2O cases available ready-to-go now as well, and I'm hoping someone else will post some info:D

All that said, the Swiftech QPower is a good, solid unit: expensive, but I think it is worth it.

or do you guys think i could get the Koolance and swap/replace certain parts to some better stuffs?? like water block, might even w/ a peltier, better pump, even move the radiator to the back or bigger one.......

sorry, i'm really new in these and my idea "might" be impossible or actually look stu-pig

Back