• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i overclock my pc2700 without uping the fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walldow

hello everyone! newb on the boards! i have a nice system and whant to overclock a little. i am prety sure you get the same questions over and over!i serched around the memory posts alittle but not indepth so much! anyway can i overclock my ram without having to up my fsb. the reson is the athlon 2200+ i have isn't unlocked yet. and every time i try to raise the fsb system locks. here are my dram settings if you would kinda look them over and give me some tips!

dram clock (by speed)
dram timing (manual)
dram cycle length(2)
bank interleave(disabled)
precharge to active(2)
active to precharge(5)
active to cmd(2)
dram Q depth(level 2)
dram comand rate(1T)

i got alittle more bandwidth when i had the bank interleave set to 4. but the system was unstable.

looks good, just add some more VDIMM or ram voltage.

say, bump it up to 2.7-8

also, instead of running your ram "by speed" run it at

good luck!

after a days hard work! the reults?

first of all it has been a long day testing combos, benching, and then the realworld test (playing madden 2003) to see if the system was stable! all in all i think it was a good day here are the results!

sorry STARFOXER but i couldn't get anyware setting the dimms to the fixed speed of 166. but the tip on uping the voltage was mutch valued! thanks! the dimms set at "by speed " is were i got the boost!

#1 STARTING FROM SCRATCH

DEFAULT VOLTAGE ON DIMMS

DIMM CLOCK FIXED@166= 2X166@332MHZ
MEMORY BANDWIDTH@ 2656MB/S

DIMM CLOCK FIXED@ BY SPEED (RESULTS SAME AS ABOVE)
MEMORY BANDWIDTH@

#2 UPING THE DIMM VOLTAGE TO 2.70 HERE IS THE KICKER! I DIDN'T TOUCH THE CPU CLOCK!

DIMM CLOCK FIXED@166= (RESULTS SAME AS ABOVE)
MEMORY BANDWIDTH@

DIMM CLOCK FIXED@BY SPEED 2X168@336MHZ
MEMORY BAND WIDTH@ 2688MB/S

#3 TO GET AN EXTRA KICK OUT OF THE MEMORY I DESIDED TO UP THE FSB JUST A TAD. REMEMBER THIS IS A STOCK XP2200+ NO UNLOCKING! EACH TIME I RAISED THE FSB I BENCHED WITH SISOFT SANDRA AND REALWORLD TESTED (MADDEN 2003).

[email protected] STABLE @1.84GHZ
[email protected] STABLE @1.85GHZ
FSB@138X13,5 STABLE @1.86GHZ
[email protected] STABLE @1.88GHZ
[email protected] STABLE @1.89GHZ PASSED BENCH BUT FAILED REALWORLD TEST (LOCKED)I DESIDED TO UP THE V-CORE ON THE CPU TO 1.70! TESTED AGAIN.
[email protected] STABLE @1.89GHZ
[email protected] STABLE @1.90GHZ PASSED BENCH BUT FAILED REALWORLD TEST. I DIDNT WANT TO UP THE V-CORE ANYMORE SO I DESIDED STABLIZING THE RAMM MIGHT HELP! RESET THE CYCLE LENTH FROM 2 TO 2.5 AND CHANGED THE Q DEPTH FROM 2 TO 3! TESTED AGAIN.
[email protected] STABLE@ 1.90GHZ

#4 THE END RESULT, WITH NO UNLOCKING OF THE CHIP!

BENCHES FROM SISOFT SANDRA AND REALWORLD TESTED WITH MADDEN 2003

CPU:AMD ATHLON XP2400+
CPU SPEED:1.90GHZ
MUTIPLIER:13.5X141
FSB:2X141 (282MHZ)
FSB BANDWIDTH:2256MB/S
MEMORY BUS SPEED:2X176MHZ (352MHZ)
MEMORY BAND WIDTH:2816MB/S
CPU TEMP IDLE:109 F
CPU TEMP STESSED:115 F

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE I KNOW HAVE A STABLE OVERCLOCK WITHOUT UNLOCKING THE CHIP! I DIDN'T THINK THAT THE MEMORY SPEED MADE THAT MUTCH OF A DIFFERANCE BUT IT DOES! COOL.

:cool:

if your chip is below 45º on load you should try a little more vcore, as the memory overclocking guide says, its better to have a lower fsb with fast timings...

Back