• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOA stick of xtremeddr from a forum member?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

Heya,

I just got in a stick of 512mb XtremeDDR PC3200 RAM from a forum member. It seems to be DOA as it won't post in any slots of my Iwill XP333-R, whereas a pair of Crucial DIMMs I have will. Anyone have any suggestions on getting it to work? The 2.1 revision of my motherboard is listed on xtremeddr.com as compatible. Would flashing my BIOS help, possibly? If it's DOA, can I RMA it to the manufacturer, or am I SOL unless I get a refund or a purchase receipt from the person I bought it from.

PM's asking who I bought it from will not be answered until I sort out how the deal ends, so please don't ask.

Does the board give any error beeps? If not and it works with other ddr then the memory is probably the cause.

The xp-333 can be picky about memory for overclocking but not just booting at stock speed.
The memory slots are VERY stiff when first used on that board and different memory might not seat the same.
Use a flashlight or something and look at the memory while installed, the top of the contacts should not be seen when the memory is installed correct.

Last edited:
One time it DID give error beeps, just a long one (1 sec or so) pulsing every several seconds. Other tries, it didn't. Could be that it's just not in there properly when I've been trying... I'll try a flashlight and make sure it gets in there. Thanks for your response!

Yes I thought once I had a dead stick on a xp-333 it wouldn't boot. I tried seating it several times with no luck and then tried it another machine and it worked.
I put it back in the xp-333 and looked close and found that one side wasn't going in as far as the other even thou the locking tabs were closed and after messing with it finally got it in right and it booted.

Thanks... I had this problem with my sticks of Crucial when I first got the board, but haven't since then. I guess this module just fits differently... I'll try it again tomorrow and use a flashlight, etc. to make sure it's in right.

Turned out that it wasn't a mounting problem, but my BIOS. ALL BIOS's aside from the 0411 for the XP333-R Rev 2.1 won't boot unless everything's on default, cas-2, and 133fsb in the BIOS. To do this I had to use a different stick of RAM... I was trying it at 140fsb which is what my old Crucial was set at. Clearing the BIOS resulted in a 100fsb... the new RAM wouldn't boot at that. It gave errors in windows and BSOD's until I updated to the 0411 BIOS which, according to Iwill's site and amdmb.com's forums looking through posts, "Improved Samsung DDR Compatibility" AKA made Samsung RAM work. XtremeDDR is pre-tested Samsung modules... I'm impressed so far!! 1840mhz stable with my AGOIA 0213 Y from newegg at about 180fsb with aggressive memory timings (all cas-2, passive release, 1u wait periods) and the "fast" BIOS settings set using WCPCREDIT. Totally badass so far... still testing the limits of my setup. I'll post back soon once I finish... I ran 1840 with Prime95 for 3 hours without any errors (shut it off cause my mom wanted to play DAOC and Sims at that time) and 3dmark 2k1 with my R9700 for 7 full runs straight!! I got it to POST at 1.75v and 1944mhz... gonna up the voltage and try to run that with Prime95 next (wanted to make sure lower settings worked fine). I can probably get higher, but I haven't tried yet. I can boot into windows at 1944mhz with 1.85v... my board can do up to 2.05v. Gonna test this thing's limits... one thing I can say though: load up some good RAM, nice cooling, and the *$52.99* 1600+ from newegg and you'll get insane speeds! This chip is a STEAL!! Only $52.99 and it's better than a 2200+ LOL.

Back