• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Windows 10 Pro from a USB stick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droidene

Registered
I have bought a Windows 10 USB stick.
But im running into trouble and cant install windows 10 because of error.

Here i provide some information:

Boot list, USB first and you can see second: Nvme SSD:
bootlist.jpg

In that boot list, i checked... yepp it found nvme:
ssdfound.jpg

Also found my Win10 stick:
win10found.jpg

Restart computer and computer is booting from USB stick, i choose Win10 64 bit:
selectboot.jpg

But error occur:
feilmelding.jpg

Now what?

Download it direct from MS as wingman suggested.
Just get the 64bit only to save time.
Download it in iso format rather than USB.
Use rufus (its free and tiny) instead of the built in tool.
So you get the best setup make sure its formatted fat 32 instead of the default ntfs via rufus. Select UEFI / GPT. Forget the legacy since your stuff is new
If you dont do it that way youll end up with an MBR install or it will fail with an error like youre showing.

Looks like the USB stick you purchased has corrupted or missing files. Where did you purchase it from? Ebay? If it came with a product activation key then you can create a new installer from the Microsoft "Media Creation Tool" website and use the product key that came with the installer you purchased. Of course, you would need a working Windows computer to do this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download the ISO and use Rufus to turn into a bootable media installer as others have said but for me the media creation tool on the website I linked has worked just fine and does all that for you.

And yes, you'll want to choose UEFI USB from the boot menu f your motherboard uses UEFI. And the disk should be initialized with GTP when installing Windows 10.

Last edited:
did you try booting the UEFI version from your boot menu? when your board posts, hit whatever hotkey gets you to the boot device menu, like F11 or F9 or whatever. Make sure to select the USB device line with UEFI in front of it. Or go back into the boot device priority list and move the UEFI: USB ahead of the non-UEFI version.

You might be having issues trying to install via MBR if your board doesnt support legacy.

im sorry i havent answered for couple days.
In BIOS i tried both UEFI and Legacy.. even UEFI+Legacy... this did not work with that USB stick bought from power.
Perhap it has a corrupt file or something.

Anyway, i had a old USB stick laying around (just enough space, 4GB)
So i just downloaded the ISO file, used uhh Rufus(I think that was the name of program) and just made my old USB stick bootable by apply the ISO to my USB stick trough Rufus.
Voila.. it worked.. Windows 10 Pro installed... and that was a UEFI... so i m sure that USB stick bought from power is corrupted or whatever... wtf not supose to be like that.

Actually, it was my old "USB", well its a MP3 player with play, pause click feature on the stick with screen on it.,.. and that is now a bootable Windows 10 in it.. hah lool. !!

All's well that ends well. But you should really buy a few 16 gb usb sticks to have around. They are so handy and very inexpensive these days.

That USB you bought looks fishy to me. Reformat it if anything odd happens with it throw it away it might contain who knows what

Good to hear you got it worked out. I recommend either the Rufus USB tool or PowerISO for creating bootable USB drives for Windows 10 installation media.

im sorry i havent answered for couple days.
In BIOS i tried both UEFI and Legacy.. even UEFI+Legacy... this did not work with that USB stick bought from power.
Perhap it has a corrupt file or something.

It was corrupt in some way for certain. How much did you pay for it?

Anyway, i had a old USB stick laying around (just enough space, 4GB)
So i just downloaded the ISO file, used uhh Rufus(I think that was the name of program) and just made my old USB stick bootable by apply the ISO to my USB stick trough Rufus.
Voila.. it worked.. Windows 10 Pro installed... and that was a UEFI... so i m sure that USB stick bought from power is corrupted or whatever... wtf not supose to be like that.

Back