• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crucial or corsair? what about other brands?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JuXsA

Registered
I'm going to be building a new computer around thanksgiving time (I hope) and I'm not sure which memory I should get. I don't think I have ever heard any thing bad about either of the brands. The computer will most likely built on the nforce2 chipset (if it preforms well) using my old Tbird 1.33. Not gonna buy a new cpu till the barton come out. I plan on doing some overclocking with this also.
I would like to get the ram that will give me the best bang for the buck. I plan on getting 2 256mb chips so I can take advantage of the crazy memory shiznit the nforce2 does. If the nforce2 sucks I may just get a 512mb.
I dont know if you can tell but I'm still undecided here.

Thanks

Also if there isn't an insane difference in cost i may wanna go with the best preforming ram... im just fishing here guys...
Thanks

it seems like everyone here agrees that corsair pc3200 Cas2 is DA ram to buy..u can get one for about 95~100 for 256mb version, and 150~200+ for 512 version.

alot of people here use mushkin also. i don't know how good it is. (i think its actually really good) and also xtreme ddr... i don't know to much about that one though.

Mushkin and Xtreme ddr can any one tell me about these? I think i may have heard about Xtreme ddr but what brand is it?

I have Xtreme DDR ram and if memory serves me correct they use samsung chips and pre-test unfortunatley they're pc 3200 is CL 2.5 and I don't know if and when they would be making pc 3200 cl 2 as far as mushkin I hear they are also a good manufacturer but I don't know much about them

Cas latency is how long it takes to access the RAM, in terms of clock cycles, I think. The lower the better. I can't find a good link right now :eh?:

Another brand to check into might be Samsung, for PC 3200. It's only Cas 2.5, but not everyone needs the top top of the line (Corsair), and it should be relatively cheap compared to Corsair as well.

I found this intresting regarding testing RAM

If you notice the spec's on both chips one has a CL of 2 and the other 2.5

CL was once explained to me using pluming as the example. The lower the number the larger the pipe is alowing more volume to pass through it.
Hope I got that correct.

Click here for test results

Last edited:
CAS means Column Address strobe. It is the maximum number of read/write cycles needed to address a data bit stored in a column.

It is only a maximum though. Data bits that are within the same column (or a nearby column) well be accessed on the next cycle.
You can look here too.

again rangerjoe to the rescue. you are hearby promoted to my memory expert. ill add you buddy name to my list. thanks man

I would have to agree. I was using the crucial pc2100 ram and then upgraded to the Corsair xms3200. Wow what a difference. I am now able to overclock to over 200FSB. My ram is set to the highest settings I can set. System is totally stable also. If you go with the Corsair I think you will have a great setup.

Sry to intrude on this post but...... HOLY SH** ZEROKELVIN!!!!!!! WHAT IS UR 3DMARK SCORE?!?!!? IS MUST BE HIGH CUZ UR RIG IS A BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Back