• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i NEED XP updates without having to log on to..MS..read inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I have XP on my laptop but the internal modem is slow(connects @24-33) so it will take forever if I directly go to MS and do the browser thing and download it direct.

Is there any way for me to get the service packs using my real computer?

thanks
Mike

Not sure if MS is still doing this or not, but they used to have a CD avalible for purchase with the SP on it. Not sure if they're still doing it for XP though.

edit. Probably could also get your hands on a PCMCIA Ethernet Card and plug into a network/cable modem/DSL/what have you... :)

There should be a download for Network Installation someplace in there....allows a download of the full service packs for network update purposes, thereby saving MS a LOT of bandwidth from corporate users: if big enterprise level organizations had to install it individually, they WOULD be very upset!

I was really hoping I could get it on disk already and not have to download it..
You can order the XP SP1 CD directly from MS for a cost of U.S. $9.95 or CDN $14.95, which includes not only SP1 for XP but also upgrades IE6 and OE6 to versions 6.0.2800.1106 and 6.00.2800.1106 respectively. The CD also includes the .NET Framework including the latest Service Pack, and all the newest support and de-bugging tools including Symbols. You can order the CD from MS's site here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/ordercd.asp ;)

Back