• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCX462+ review on frontpage disappointed :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fender123

Well.... i thought this one was going to be better than the
SLK-800 as claimed by the first site that reviewed the HSF....

I trust overclockers.com's results much more and so i'm a bit disapointed....... i was waiting to buy one when it arrived on the 10th on this site i order from Bigfoot something..

Now i think i'm going to stick with my first idea which was a SLK-800 with the tornado.

Last edited:
Don't be too disapointed. Its hard to beat the performance of an SLK800 paired with an 84 cfm fan. At 0.23 CW it outperforms every watercooling kit on the main page besides the Innovatek which it ties. If you can deal with the noise you cpu will be nice and cool.:)

Oh hell, i can deal with the noise i'm allready living with the annoying 70mm whine of the Volcano 7+.....
Although the computer's in another room.

The only thing i don't like about the Slk-800 is the weight but then again i don't move it around too often.

And the only reason i'm disapointed is because i was waiting for more reviews of the MCX462+ since the first one said it was better than the SLK-800...
So basically i could've bought my HSF 2 weeks ago.

how are u dissapointing, the results prove its a better heatsink.
Look at the last test of the swiftech, 45.6 at 2535 rpm, thats like 50 cfm at most...look at the slk-800, at 3500 rpm its at 48...give the slk about a 3 degree bump lower at the swifty's ambient and its about the same...

i dont see the big difference.. swifty mounts better, looks better, and u can save ur hearing and have it perform very good.

Last edited:
obliv said:
Look at the last test of the swiftech, 45.6 at 2535 rpm, thats like 50 cfm at most...look at the slk-800, at 3500 rpm its at 48...give the slk about a 3 degree bump lower at the swifty's ambient and its about the same...

i dont see the big difference.. swifty mounts better, looks better, and u can save ur hearing and have it perform very good.

Dude... the results DO NOT prove it's a better cooler.. at 2500 RPMS? come on who in the hell that has is rig heavily overclocked is going to be running at 2500 RPMS? The temps overclocked would make the system unstable in a few seconds.... that's why we put 84cfm Tornados on them LOL !

Well, 1st off , if your using it at low settings your obviously not overclocking, or else your temps would jump sky high...., so in my overclocking solution it would be absolutly pointless. Why? overclocked it wouldn't cool enough to keep system stable, and i am not running stock, also my computer is in another ROOM, so i don't give a damn about sound.

So basically, if i am going to spend that amount of money for a heatsink, i'm going to be overclocking at the max, if your not overclocking, stick with the one that came with cpu it'll do just fine......

But overclocking means i want THE BEST air cooling solution out there, THAT's what the results show... at max airflow the SLK-800 still craps all over the Swiftech, so the best still is the SLK-800 KING OF THE FRIEKING HILL air cooler LOL! hehehe. ;)

You realize i'm being humorous right ?:D

obliv said:

the swifty get a lower temp with a slower fan.
lets see somebody put a tornado on the swifty, then it'll probably kick the slk-800's shiny copper butt lol

long live King Swifty!!!

james.miller said:

the swifty get a lower temp with a slower fan.
lets see somebody put a tornado on the swifty, then it'll probably kick the slk-800's shiny copper butt lol
long live King Swifty!!!

Actually... LMAO Allready!!!

That's what the overclockers.com reviewer did WAhahahahaha !
Both were tested with Tornados at full power 84cfm.
They put a Tornado on both heatsinks for testing, the swiftech and the SLK-800....
Guess who's still on top ? T full power 84 CFM : SLK-800.

sorry dude :D
Swifty gets in the reary hahahaha !

Get real. The swifty has a much better mounting system and is a finely machined unit. Put a delta EHE on it and see what it does!

If you can not tolerate noise then the Swifty would be a good choice, as it performs better with a lower cfm fan compared to the other top ranked sinks. Not everybody wants a 84 cfm Vantec Tornado.:)

JimmyG said:
Get real. The swifty has a much better mounting system and is a finely machined unit. Put a delta EHE on it and see what it does!

I agree, it has a great mounting system but.....

Actually Tornado has more cfms than the EHE (EHE = 80 cfm / Tornado = 84 CFM )so, what's the difference the SLK-800 still wins out according to overclockers.com review....
May be a great Heatsink, but not king of the hill................

fender123 said:

Dude... the results DO NOT prove it's a better cooler.. at 2500 RPMS? come on who in the hell that has is rig heavily overclocked is going to be running at 2500 RPMS? The temps overclocked would make the system unstable in a few seconds.... that's why we put 84cfm Tornados on them LOL !

i overclocked my p4 600 mhz with a 50 cfm fan so i have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

i took my athlon 300 or so mhz as well, not the best overclock, but if its to save my ears, then so be it.

And it still is proven the swifty is the better heatsink for low cfm fans so i have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. :)

obliv said:

i overclocked my p4 600 mhz with a 50 cfm fan so i have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
i took my athlon 300 or so mhz as well, not the best overclock, but if its to save my ears, then so be it.
And it still is proven the swifty is the better heatsink for low cfm fans so i have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. :)

Let me enlighten you, AND STOP SHOUTING MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A ...... ;)

The only time i would be running at 3500 or 2500 rpms is stock or very slightly overclocked, at high overclocks it would be too dangerous....

So for overclocking and using MAXIMUM heat dissipation, we're talking AMD 2100+ @ 1.95 volts @ 1900mhz and up, you're not going to be running @ 2500 rpms or 3500 rpms.. you're going to be running full blast...... Follow so far ?
At maximum settings 5000 rpms for Tornado, the SLK-800 KICKS SWIFTY's BUTT ! Did you understand that ? ;)

So for overclocking, at max settings, 5000 rpms for Tornado, Swifty gets his *** kicked squarely by SLK-800. Still follow ?

Now, if you're going to be slightly overclocking, or running stock in the first place.... you don't need a MCX462 or a SLK-800... anything cheaper will do, so who cares if the Swiftech is better at 2500 rpms ? I certainly won't be overclocking if my cpu's doing temps in the high 40's.... is my expanation of my position clear or shall i recommence ? ;)

Another thing.... it is NOT proven that the swifty is the better heatsink for low cfm fans, all that was proven is that the Swiftech with the TORNADO running at low speeds is better, that does NOT mean it beats the SLK-800 with EVERY low cfm fans, for that it would have to be tested with different fans, so you can't make it a fact just by this review, and this fan alone.......

All that was proven in this review is that the SLK-800 with Tornado at full blast beats out the Swifty, and that at low speeds the Swifty with the Tornado is better.

Does it mean, SLK-800 wouldn't beat the Swifty with a lower cfm fan ? NO it does not..... just means , at low speeds with the TORNADO it's better IN THIS TEST......

But then again if i'm going to spend that much money for a heatsink, i want the best performer at peak performance levels, and in this instance the clear winner yet again IS the SLK-800 with Tornado.....

Like i said 2500 rpms ? who cares, if you're going that low, any other heatsink will do, SK6, AX7, MCX462 not the +, Volcano 7 bla bla bla........

I beleive that makes my position pretty clear don't you ? ;)

calm down fender 123. your position was always clear. noboody doubted that so stop trying to prove it.

as for the heatsinks - let's just wait untill we see some more reviews shall we?

there are other reviews of the mcx462 that suggest this. and besides, im still not going to want a fast spinning tornado on my heatsink, too loud.

i get plenty of heat dissipation by using a copper/aluminum fin design

a low cfm fan helps dissipate it even quicker, im done arguing about it, id choose the swiftech.

I have to defend the swifty here.
Its really getting trashed by that slk8000 (yukk).

Swifty is best in my book. In real life the swifty outperforms the slk800 anyday. You want to talk about heavy overclocking......I don't really see too much of that on air. The most you can get out of an amd proc is 200-300 mhzzz (unless you have a agoia or aroia stepping)

Many people really overkill with the vcore. Especially with the newer boards that allow any Joe to bump the vcore to 2.2V w/o any special tricks....;)
Its not like your going to magically get a better overclock with the slk800 instead of a swifty because your cpu temp is 46C instead of 48C. Most cpu's go just as far on water as they do on good @ir.
It all comes down to luck and a little kow how.

So it really comes down to which Heatsink is made btter and can kool a cpu with in reasonable dBa's.
Winner Swifty in this case.

:D

b8ng8 said:
Swifty is best in my book. In real life the swifty outperforms the slk800 anyday.

Wow... that's a bold statement for a heatsink that just came out...
Or are you really seriously talking about the previous version and saying it's better than the SLK-800 ? bahahaha.....

b8ng8 said:
Many people really overkill with the vcore. Especially with the newer boards that allow any Joe to bump the vcore to 2.2V w/o any special tricks....

What the hell does that have to do with anything ?
No serious person would leave their cpu running at 2.2v....
But... often times you'll need to bump vcore at around 1.95 volts and for that you need adequate cooling
Slk-800 wins on that one hands down.... ;)

b8ng8 said:
Its not like your going to magically get a better overclock with the slk800 instead of a swifty because your cpu temp is 46C instead of 48C. Most cpu's go just as far on water as they do on good @ir.
It all comes down to luck and a little kow how.

Who said anything about getting better overclocks ?
Has nothing to do with it, but when your running highly overclocked, you want to keep cpu as cool as possible, that's the issue.......

So it all comes down to which Heatsink is made btter and is better at cooling overclocked cpus,
Winner SLK-800 in this case.:D

james.miller said:
calm down fender 123. your position was always clear. noboody doubted that so stop trying to prove it.

Actually i'm very calm, Obliv's the one shouting ;)
All i was doing is answering to Obliv who said he didn't understand what i was talking about ;)

but thx anyway for butting in hehehe;)

fender123 said:
Wow... that's a bold statement for a heatsink that just came out...
Or are you really seriously talking about the previous version and saying it's better than the SLK-800 ? bahahaha.....

Your arguements have no base and seem childish. I personaly seen dozens of brand new HSF (my friend runs a shop in the city)
Each HSF is made differently. If your into quality and wouldn't mind a fan spinning a bit slower, then the swifty is perfect. If your just obsessed with temperatures obtained by a reviewer on one day then ofcourse you going to get the top scoring HSF that he recommends. (no disrespect to our reviewers at OC's, but the test results obtained by a reviewer are just light guidelines to help you compare different classes of a product)

And saying how one HSF is better than the other is silly. You can't really compare the two and make such statements unless you have experience with the two (which I doubt you have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back