• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win 98 detect ntfs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

Hi all

Does anyone know if Win 98 will detect slave drives if they are ntfs format ? maybe i need some addon or somthing to make it work? i dont really want to convert all drive to fat32 id prefer to keep ntfs. and can win98 be installed as a ntfs file system or only fat32 ?

Thanx in advance

Win98 won't detect NTFS partitions or drives in the computer it is installed in. Win98 isn't compatible with NTFS.

wish i could

Jawsome said:
why dont you save whatever info is on that drive to the drive you are running on your 98 machine, then format it with fat32

If it were only that simple, i have 1 x 120 gb hdd FULL 2 x 60 gb FULL and the main drive which is 20 gb for o's only is empty, do you know of a really good compression tool ? lol thats why i dont want to format drive with fat32 i dont have 400 cd's to back it up

i think partition magic has an ntfs to fat32 converter, but when i tried it, something happened in the conversion I orgot what happened, but you might want to try that,

fiveohhh said:
i think partition magic has an ntfs to fat32 converter, but when i tried it, something happened in the conversion I orgot what happened, but you might want to try that,
Yes, Partition Magic will convert the Partition to Fat32 with the data on there. But there's always the chance of data curroption or total data loss. I've read a few posts over the last few years of this happining and guy's losing all the data on the drive or partition.
I myself have never had any trouble. I've used it numerous times and have never had bad results.

Re: ?

skinart said:
Sounds kewl would you happin to know the name of the software ? :)

There was one called NTFS DOS which could mount an NTFS volume from a DOS prompt...

Used it in the past for getting files off an NT Server where one of the SCSI channels on the RAID controller had blown and taken 3 drives down... got some of the files I needed but it didn't enable all the disk and I couldn't get at everything... might be a newer version now though (NTFS Win ?)

Partition Magics NTFS->FAT32 conversion is a bit hit-and-miss but usually works... ;)

Barakka

Back