• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Counter Proposal To Folding (everyone Planning To Fold Read This)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
WHILE FOLDING IS VERY NICE; I'M A SETIHOLIC and I have a counter proposal and I want to know if this idea will work.

WHILE everyone else is wasting cycles or folding I have an idea that could give us a 100 - 250 thousand WU boost over everyone else:burn:

MY IDEA IS TO HAVE EVERYONE START CACHING THOUSANDS OF WU IN DECEMBER.

THEN WHEN THE SERVER GOES DOWN FOR LIKE LETS SAY 3 MONTHS WE CRUNCH ALL OUR CACHED WORKUNITS.

3000 WU A DAY * 30 DAYS * 3 MONTHS = 250,000+ WORKUNITS

THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I SEE WITH THIS IS IF THEY DON'T ACCEPT THE WORKUNITS AFTER THE SWITCH IS COMPLETE.

MAYBE SOMEONE COULD FIGURE OUT IF THIS WOULD WORK OR NOT.

IF THIS WORKS

WHEN SETI COMES BACK ONLINE

WE WILL MASSIVLY DUMP THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF WORKUNITS AND SKYROCKET INTO POSITIONS THAT WOULD TAKE US YEARS TO REACH

I WONDER IF THAT WOULD BE A WORLD RECORD FOR NUMBERS OF FILES TRANSFERED ALL AT ONCE:cool:

I HOPE THIS ISN'T TOO RADICAL IDEA:rolleyes:

I FEEL LIKE I'M LOST IN THE DESERT FOR THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SOUL ON THIS SETI STUFF FORUM FOR 15 MINUITS AND COUNTING

DUDE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS RIGHT ABOVE THE SHIFT KEY (press it) :D :D :p

anyhoo, that's a good idea, provided they accept the old Wu's. then there's the additional thing... someone might notice the sudden increase of incomming wu's when the program starts, instead of distrubuting them.

one idea that might work. cache a buttload of wu's and save them untill the new client is released, then crunch them. at which time (hopefully) will be before the dataserver is up, thus giving us a head start.

just my $0.02

Digital

Digital Pimp said:
DUDE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS RIGHT ABOVE THE SHIFT KEY (press it) :D :D :p

just my $0.02

Digital

DUDE THAT WAS DONE WITH MY PINKY ON THE SHIFT KEY :D

I WAS SO ENTHUaStIc I cOuLdEn'T cOnTrOlL My TyPiNg

They will be accepting wu's for another month maybe longer after the project closes. I had already planed on caching up to give me another month of bliss:cool:

But still a great idea for the die-hard seti fan.:beer:

My understanding is that when the new program comes along there will be a new client and all teams will either be disbanded or their counts will be reset to zero.

You would assume they would reset due to the cheating on WU's Ex: Benz.... But Who knows. If they did carry over the old counts then this would work, however I think there would be a high probablity of a reset or something there abouts. I have no info to back that up but I have a lot of Software beta testing exp...and I hate Pwhips but thats what always happens. Once again no evidence to back that story up but just my experience. :D

(Mictlan rises from his chair, clears his throat and says)I'm a SETI addict.

The only problem will be that when SETI restarts, it will be with a new client BOINK (great name in my opinion, just in leage with SMACK, SPLAT and WACKA-WACKA), this new client will be different from the one we are using right now.

When S@H upgraded their client from version 2 to version 3 (current) they gave sometime before the older client result became invalid file transfers, just like they are doing right now. So it is very possible that they'll be shutting the data adquisition fist, and after 1 month (just the period they ususally let pass to any WU distributed) and shut down the servers. SO any WU left behind after that would be invalid. And lets suppose (shuddering) that they get behind schedule with the Astropulse or [email protected] would die of cold turkey before they come on loine again :D

Back