• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

See if you can troubleshoot this...I dare you!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rafterman223

I recently built my 2rd computer: EPoX 8K3A+, Athlon 2200+, 512 Mb DDR333 RAM, 2x 80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hard Drives on the integrated Highpoint ATA133 controller in RAID 0 array, Radeon 9700 Pro, etc. When I tried to boot up for the first time, I got the message on my monitor: 'Monitor working correctly, no signal from computer'. I thought it might be a sloppy multiplier unlock (I unlocked L3 bridges 1,3,and 5) but I cleaned it off, and no results, I didn't crush the die, and all of the jumper setttings are correct. I read about problems with the Radeon with non-intel chipsets, so I put in my GeForce 4 MX 440 and no boot. I really don't want to wait weeks until I figure this out so ALL input is appreciated.

you didnt say what youve tried other than replacing the video card. regular troubleshotting is about first running the system with only the necessary components so you would leave in only one memory stick, hard disk, cards etc.

when system wont even post usually is due to RAM, video card, cpu, psu, mainboard.
if you havent other parts to test youre gonna have a hard time finding out whats wrong with the system.

On my monitor, that's the message that appears if the video cable isn't connected.

If yours is, that means you're signal coming out of the video card is dead.

Start with the simple stuff. Make sure the video card is fully seated and that it is getting power. Next, cross test the cards with your first rig to isolate the bad component. You've already done half of this, but I'd try the Radeon in your other rig just to be sure.

From what you write, my guess is you have a bad motherboard.

BHD

Take the motherboard out of the case and try to run it.
Could be the MB is grounding and testing it by doing the above will check that out. Just hook up what is necessary to get into bios.

Good luck and post the result after you try it.

Al

Make sure you have a floppy power cable going to that 9700.

Did it work when you put everything together at stock? I know you must have done that because nobody trusts hardware companies nor vendors that much. If somehow I'm wrong, just RMA the whole thing, pay whatever they ask and do things the fast way next time (you've surely noticed how much time you would have saved by going step by step).

Whoa..........

Ok first things first. It can be several of the things already mentioned in this thread. the main things to do is to take it all apart. then just put the nescessary components in (motherboard, chip, heatsink, ram, video card, power supply.) see if it posts with justr those. the reason no harddrive is because that can cause the problem too if the jumper is wrong. If it still does not post then you want to listen for beep codes or the led display to figure out the problem. the most likely things are ram is not seated correctly or vid card not seated correctly. It can also be the motherbnoard being shorted out so trying the minimal boot up should be done with the motherboard on a telephone book or similar. If this does not work then you need to start trying to nail down what component is causoing the problem. just reply back with beep codes, led codes, and with everything you have tried so far. Good luck...

The first thing I'd try is make sure the video card is seated properly. AGP cards tend to feel seated (you feel it rest against something), but are really only halfway in. Since the pins aren't just straight, they are more in a zig-zag pattern, the card depends on being fully seated.

Try the most simple solutions first.

I would go back to the start ...1 Check PSU... is it set to correct voltages.2 Recheck all the case wires connected to main board.
3.Clear Cmos.{disconnect power first}A good idea on a new board always.........................................................................
4.. CHECK MANUAL FOR JUMPER SETTINGS.................................
5 do a basic assembly to include Processor, heat sink {Connected to the fan hedder if so required}1 Stick of ram,Video,Hard drive.

Boot it up and listen to the beep codes If no beeps remove the video card and boot see if she beeps.{Of course if she boots skip this step}

Usually the case wires or PSU voltage settings are the first reasons a system will not post.If these are correct then hardware issues need to be eliminated 1 by 1...

I had the same problem once,for me, it ended up being improperly marked RAM that my mobo didn't support. It ran fine in my friend's system, and different RAM ran fine in my system.

Back