• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't know if I can be helped?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manoftoons

Okay, I have recently built my first computer. I will list all the parts at the end of this message. First I got all the parts connected and running. I installed Microsoft Windows XP professional Service Pack 2. I also installed Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars Battlefront, Unreal Tournament 2004 Editors Ed. and Microsoft Office 2003. I also patched and updated all the above mentioned programs (with XP as well). I also downloaded all the latest drivers for DirectX and the graphics Card. My friend also told me to get the latest updates for my motherboard. Well that is where I made my mistake, I guess. When I did that I also installed the latest BIOS - K8N1004.ZIP, then my computer rebooted and never came back to life. All my monitor says now is "Monitor is in Power Save Mode, Activate using PC". But, my computer doesn't activate it nor does it even make it to the POST or BIOS screen. All the Fans, MB LED, and drives get power, but nothing happens no boot.

Okay here are the things that I have done (with the power off and unplugged when changes were made)
1. I have taken out the RAM and reseated it in all the combos of the three DIMM slots and using 1 or 2 chips
2. I have done the jumper thing in the manual for 5sec, 10sec, 15sec, 5 min (I have not turned the power back on without changing the jumper back)
3.taken the little battery out
4. used a different graphics card or no graphics card at all
5. disconnected everything and reconnected everything back to its proper place and secure
6. I have probably done other stuff I can't think of right now, but I will let you know if you suggest something.

Now for the computer parts:
AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3000+
Asus K8N Ai Series Motherboard
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200gig HD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb Graphics Card
Samsung CDROM Drive
Coarsair DDR400 512MB RAM x2
400 Watt Power Supply

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I tried to be as detailed as I could, but I will be more than happy to answer any other questions.
:bang head :bang head

ah - a buddy of mine had the same on his a8n. They RMAd his first TWO boards and now he's up and running. His firewire chip was exceptionally hot, he told me (insert fire joke here ;)). Good luck.

Sounds to me like you flashed the BIOS and its now corrupted.

What exactly did you do when flashing the BIOS? Know anyone else with the same board that you can borrow the BIOS chip from?

I don't know much about that specific board but is it possible to make a boot disc to flash in a new BIOS? Also have you cleared CMOS? If you don't clear CMOS, you get errors because it will be attempting to save settings from 2 separate BIOS at the same time.

To Answer David:
I used that Asus Update application that came with the MB, it flashed, then told me to reboot to finish the changes and that is when I lost everything.

To Answer Eldonko:
I believe I cleared the CMOS, I used the jumper trick in the manual and took the battery out (together and sperately). I have no idea if my CMOS is cleared, since I can't get a POST to come on. Unless there is another way to clear CMOS, i think I have done that.
As far as the Boot Disk, the MB gives the drives power, but that is it. No information is being run through. I don't see how a bootable floppy would be different, but I will try it. thanks

Okay, I have been waiting for two and a half days to talk to a real person at Asus. I have sent emails, but alas no reply has come from them. Every time I call (it is not toll free), they keep giving me the message, the next available technician will call you right back. I have placed 6 phone calls already.
Is this standard operation and procedure for Asus? Do I need to lie and say I am a reseller? Do I have that proverbial sign on my forhead?
I thought a three year warranty, meant I could get it fixed within 3 years, not get help in 3 years :(

Heck, by now I would have RMA'd it to the place I bought it. THey usually cover the item for 30 to 60 days if its a website. Otherwise, locally, they have to. Just tell them the computer just shut off. If they ask, say all your other parts have tested ok and that the board is simply just a lemon.

Then, go buy and ABIT :D

Back